Wiring with this setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring with this setup

In my kitchen I have two sets of lights, each set is controlled by a switch which are in the same box.

​There are three wires, red, black, white and ground coming into the box.

​Switch one has the red and the black and the ground

​Switch two has the black from switch one and then the white hooked up to it with the ground

​I want to replace one of those switches with a 2466SW, an on/off toggle switch. Can it be done?

I have already bought the switch, since every switch I have done so far has had the correct wiring.

Thanks in advance..

​Ralph

The wiring is correct or it would not work. It's just not the same as shown in the instructions. That said, you need to change the wiring at the light that has the other end of the 3-wire cable/Romex. Which one can only be determined after removing the fixture, but most likely it will be the one closest to the switches. Describe what you find. You can disregard any ground wires.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The one switch controls a fan/light and the other switch controls three lights at the same time.

​The fan/light combination is the closest one to the switch. Do you still think I should take down the fan/light?

​This will have to wait since it is dark and all the lights in that area will need to be turned off..

Comment

The one switch controls a fan/light and the other switch controls three lights at the same time.

​The fan/light combination is the closest one to the switch. Do you still think I should take down the fan/light?

​This will have to wait since it is dark and all the lights in that area will need to be turned off..

Comment

Comment

It's likely that you will have to remove the fan/light. You may want to consider adding a FanLinc and 6-button KeypadLinc at this time. In the interim, it's vastly easier to remove the other fixture and, at least, describe the wiring there.

Tip: remove the fan blades and any glass before removing the fan/light.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

First sorry about the multiple posts. I was having trouble with my browser and hit Post Reply too many times.

​The other fixture is three high hats in the ceiling that are around 4 feet from each other.. It maybe easier to remove the fan/light..

Comment

If I restrict the conversation to us, then I can say we've all done that

BTW, in the event you're not familiar with installing ceiling fans, there should be a hook already in place on the ceiling bracket so you can hang the fan while you're wiring.

Comment

Working...
                X