Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2477D Dimmer to Control Celing Fan Light - Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477D Dimmer to Control Celing Fan Light - Need Help!

I am new to this forum and Insteon products, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

​I've already hooked up my Insteaon Hub, two wall plugs, 2 cameras and garage door opener with no issues.

I decided to add the 2477D dimmer switch to control my light on my celling fan in the family room. When I pulled the existing wall switch out, the wiring consist of 1 - black, 1 - red, 1 - white and 1- copper ground. I hooked the dimmer switch up matching each wire as instructed in the install guide. The Insteon dimmer switch did light up and link to my phone app, but won't turn the light off/on. The same fan light has a wall switch on the opposite wall. I turned the existing switch off and on and nothing works. Its almost like its shorting it out. I unhooked the insteaon dimmer switch and wired the original switch back, and light works.

​Is there a way I can get this to work? It seems like every light switch and wall plugs are running parallel off another switch, could this be my problem?

​It seems like the black wire has a constant current and red has a low current running off of it. Can I disconnect one of these wires to make it work? Any help would be great!

I apologize for the double post.

Comment

What was the original switch that you are replacing? Did it have separate control for each the fan and the light? Standard switches have only two wires (disregarding ground). Standard switches never have a neutral wire.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The wall switch was just for the light on the celing fan, it had 4 wires going into it coming out of the wall (black, red, white and copper). Could another switch be piggybacking off this one for power?

Comment

If the original switch had all three wires connected to it, then it is most likely that is is part of a 3-way configuration (and the white wire is not a neutral, black is not line and red is not load).
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Here is the switch I'm trying to replace:
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

This is the other switch for the fan light located on the opposite side of the room. See different color wiring.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

You have a 3-way configuration. You cannot change only one of the switches to Insteon. You can change one to Insteon and remove the other or you can change both to Insteon. In any case, you cannot use a dimmer.

The proper device for your installation is a Fanlinc plus installing one Keypad (use one switch only) or two Keypads (have use of both switches). Instructions depend on your choice..

Comment

So you are saying a dimmer will not work regardless if I replace both with an Insteon dimmer? If it will work, how do I wire both Insteon dimmer's?

Comment

There is only one load wire to power both the fan and light. Each is controlled separately at the fan itself using the pull chains. A dimmer is not meant to control a motor load. To do so may destroy the motor, the dimmer or both. One choice is to use an Insteon On/Off module in place of the standard switch and continue using the pull chains. You will not have light dimming available at all.

Another choice is to use a FanLinc which will provide both speed control for the fan motor and dimming for the light. But, the FanLinc is not accessible because it's installed in the fan canopy, so a 6-button Keypad is used which permits controlling the fan and light separately form the "wall switch."

In your specific situation, you have a 3-way configuration. That simply allows you to have control from two locations. It does not change the load requirements. The FanLinc actually controls two loads--the motor and the light(s)--using one device.

If cost is a concern, then you can use replace only one Keypad and eliminate the other 3-way switche. A second Keypad can be added later, if desired.

Comment

Ok, i will look into the keypads. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

A 3-way configuration can be complex because, although there is only one schematic, due to field conditions, there are many ways to run the cables. Post if you need help.

BTW, it's OK to use a Keypad dimmer with a FanLinc because the Keypad is linked, but not wired, to the FanLinc. Also, the dimmer is silent and the On/Off switch clicks.

Comment

Working...
                        X