SwitchLinc Dimmer - INSTEON 2477D for Celing Fan Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SwitchLinc Dimmer - INSTEON 2477D for Celing Fan Light

I am new to this forum and Insteon products, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

​I've already hooked up my Insteaon Hub, two wall plugs, 2 cameras and garage door opener with no issues.

I decided to add the 2477D dimmer switch to control my light on my celling fan in the family room. When I pulled the existing wall switch out, the wiring consist of 1 - black, 1 - red, 1 - white and 1- copper ground. I hooked the dimmer switch up matching each wire as instructed in the install guide. The Insteon dimmer switch did light up and link to my phone app, but won't turn the light off/on. The same fan light has a wall switch on the opposite wall. I turned the existing switch off and on and nothing works. Its almost like its shorting it out. I unhooked the insteaon dimmer switch and wired the original switch back, and light works.

​Is there a way I can get this to work? It seems like every light switch and wall plugs are running parallel off another switch, could this be my problem?

​It seems like the black wire has a constant current and red has a low current running off of it. Can I disconnect one of these wires to make it work? Any help would be great!

I'm not expert, but it sounds like you have a couple of 3-way switches. The wiring diagram that came with the switch should show how to do that (assuming 2477D is the one that can work as a "3-way"). For this to work, you probably have to have TWO Insteon switches.

​Also, FWIW, you don't have "constant current". You are hopefully measuring voltage.

You may want to read up on how 3-way switches work.

Comment

Three wires connected to the same switch indicates a 3-way configuration in which at least one white wire is not a neutral, black is unlikely to be line nor is red likely to be load. One of the switch screws is black, the other two are brass.

Do you have another switch that controls the light. Does the switch control only the light or both the fan and the light?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
      X