Using Insteon over long distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Insteon over long distance

I'm hoping someone can help here. My shop is about 100 feet from my house. My Insteon devices (50+) all work fine inside the house but I cannot yet register a switch inside the shop. Is there a way to extend the reach? a relay device perhaps? The power circuits originate from the same panel. I'm using Hometroller as the controller.

Start by disconnecting everything in the shop except the Insteon switch. Also, leave the load disconnected. BTW, which switch? Are there any electric outlets between the shop and house?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

thanks for the response. At the moment I'm trying to connect a 6-keypad link in the shop. I can try turning off all devices at the shop panel except for the circuit with the lights I'm trying to control to eliminate noise at the shop. There are many electrical outlets in the shop and in the house, but none "between". I can run an underground CAT5e from the house to the shop if there was some sort of repeater that was available?

Comment

Success! and then some. I added a few more Insteon switches in the house then tried to link the shop again. This time it was able to connect and program the switch. And then, I added another device (Keypad linc) which was on a completely different pole service but located in a box very near the first device. I love it when a plan comes together.

I will monitor the coms to these devices, as there are several big geothermal heat pumps on the circuit in the shop which could cause some grief. If I run into com issues again, is there a remote broadcast device that I can still wire in using a CAT5e connection to the Insteon network somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by Learning slowly... View Post
          I will monitor the coms to these devices, as there are several big geothermal heat pumps on the circuit in the shop which could cause some grief. If I run into com issues again, is there a remote broadcast device that I can still wire in using a CAT5e connection to the Insteon network somehow?
          No, there is not. The usual method when a device is causing Insteon com difficulties is to filter the offending device. There are 10A, 15A and 20A filters. Hint: X10 filters are as effective as Insteon filters.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
          X