Help with Flickering LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Flickering LEDs

Done some searching of existing threads and cannot find an answer.

Setup
    I've brand new to Insteon. I've got the following in the master bedroom:
    • 1 x Insteon 2245-222 Hub
    • 1 x Insteon 2334-232 Keypad Dimmer Switch (6-button) -- Revision 7.4
    • 2 x Insteon 2472DWH Outlet Linc

The 6-button dimmer switch is connected to an overhead light fixture with two brand new dimmable LED bulbs.

Each OutletLinc is connected to a tabletop lamp with a single brand new dimmable LED bulb.

All LED bulbs in the system are the same: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDZGBHI/

The Problem
    The overhead light fixture (through the 6-button dimmer) flickers periodically. Frequency increases when dimmed, but it still happens at full power. The two LED bulbs flicker together, not separately.

The tabletop lamps do not flicker at all. They are using the same LED bulbs.

Things I've tried
    • Took the 6-button switch off the wall to check the wiring. Ensured that all wires have a good connection.
    • Swapped the bulbs between fixtures. Flickering only happens in the overhead fixture.
    • Double checked that the bulbs are dimmable. (See link above)
    • Replaced the LED bulbs with incandescents. The flickering stopped.
    • It's hard to be certain, but it feels like the flickers happen more when I'm doing something Insteon-related. (Playing with app, pressing buttons, etc.)
    • Placing only one bulb in the fixture (instead of two) does not alleviate the issue
    • Checked the wiring on the fixture. No problems there.
    • There are no other "smart" devices in the house that would send erroneous signals on the line.
    • I do not have a TED 5000 installed.

Can anyone suggest how to stop the flickering?
    Last edited by spiceygas; 02-28-2015, 04:39 PM.

Check 1 bulb vs. 2. Also checked wiring of fixture.

I am convinced that it is only happening when I play with there is Insteon traffic nearby, especially from the Smart Phone app.

If I leave the lights alone and close the Insteon app on my phone, no flickering for half hour.

If I open the app, things instantly begin flickering while loading the status of each of the three devices.

Has anyone else had trouble where Insteon traffic causes flickering in some fixtures. (But not other fixtures)

Comment

I have had the flickering problem when there is traffic - and it would randomly affect different switches / but not all / not the SAME ones each time. I have NOT solved it (but have posted elsewhere about it). I did find that filtering out a/v receivers made it BETTER, but did not entirely solve it. It seemed that the receivers (with amplifiers) exacerbated whatever electrical situation was causing the switches to "flicker" the load. I have simple incandescent lights on the switches that flicker the most. And, of course, ONLY dimmer switches (and lamplincs) are affected - the switches with relays in them (2477S for example) are not affected. It's something to do with the dimming circuitry used in the various dimming insteon products.

Comment

I might venture at least a guess that since the outlet-lincs are not dimmable (I don't think it's code to allow an outlet to "dim") - they are likely relay-based devices, which would further back the theory that only the dimmer circuitry is affected by this flickering stuff.

Comment

The National Electrical Code (NEC) as well as the Canadian Electrical Code (CSA) allow an outlet to be dimmable if the receptacle is designed to accept only a specific type of plug. The Insteon dimmable outlet meets that requirement. BTW, the design of the receptacle is left to the manufacturer.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
          X