Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do this?

Hello All

I've been using Control4 in my home for about 7 years. I really like what Insteon is doing and looking to get started with some switches/dimmers. I'd like to know if Insteon can do something similar to what I'm currently doing.

I have Control4 dimmer switches throughout my home and I have a program on two of the switches (one in my bedroom and the other by the main entrance/exit of the home). The program allows me to double tap the off switch and it will turn off all the lights in the house (as well as send a command to an IR blaster that shuts all the blinds in the home). I can also programatically turn on the top or bottom LED of the switch and set it's colour to provide a visual indicator that a light is on somewhere in the house (I turn on the bottom LED and set to red).

How could I accomplish something similar with Insteon? Specifically, double tap to turn off all lights and to provide a visual indicator that there is a light on somewhere in the house?

Thanks in advance

To do this successfully you would need a ISY Series Controller from UDI: http://www.universal-devices.com/ The Insteon system would need to be some what customized to replicate what you have on hand. By using a KPL, colored change kit, one of a dozen wireless RF / IR remote blind kits, etc.

Given your current investment in Control 4 what is the reason for considering Insteon? NOTE: You must have a neutral wire in all areas where a potential switch will be. If your Control 4 system does not have these in place you need to stop now.

As the cost to rewire an existing home is really not an option.
    Teken . . .

Comment

Which window shading system are you using?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thank you all. I am planning to do some automation in another home. One of the features I liked most was using LEDs on the dimmer switch as an indicator that lights were on somewhere else in the house and then double tapping to turn all off. How could I do something like this with Insteon?

I can't recall the shading system at the moment, however, I don't need to integrate this. The blinds were controlled via IR (I copied IR commands from the provided remote).

Comment

An ISY[ http://www.universal-devices.com/res...sy994i-series/ will allow you to light a KeypadLinc button if any device is on and turn off all those devices with a single button push.

An Inseon to IR transmitter is available http://www.smarthome.com/irlinc-tran...converter.html
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by berdelyi View Post
            Thank you all. I am planning to do some automation in another home. One of the features I liked most was using LEDs on the dimmer switch as an indicator that lights were on somewhere else in the house and then double tapping to turn all off. How could I do something like this with Insteon?

I can't recall the shading system at the moment, however, I don't need to integrate this. The blinds were controlled via IR (I copied IR commands from the provided remote).
            As suggested if you purchase a ISY Series Controller and obtain all the required Insteon parts you will be in good shape. You do however need to confirm that each electrical switch has a neutral wire in the housing.

Otherwise the only method is to use the two wire kit which takes power from the light bulb and that load must be a incandescent.
            Teken . . .

Comment

Great feedback. Just to confirm, for the visual notification I will need a keypad as this allows me to turn LED on/off to provide a visual notification. IR control needs an additional adaptor as well. Much appreciated.

Point taken regarding the neutral wire.

Comment

Originally posted by berdelyi View Post
                Great feedback. Just to confirm, for the visual notification I will need a keypad as this allows me to turn LED on/off to provide a visual notification. IR control needs an additional adaptor as well. Much appreciated.

Point taken regarding the neutral wire.

Yes, all you need to decide upon is to use either a Key Pad Linc (KPL) dimmer or relay.

NOTE: The KPL dimmer is thinner in profile when compared to the KPL relay. This may not concern you if your JBOX are deep enough and not stuffed. But, if they are older shallow box's and the box is full of wire it may take some effort to stick in a KPL relay. The actual dimensions are listed at the SH website.

Also, consider purchasing the 25/50 KPL keys or ordering some custom keys to suite your needs. This will provide ease of use and a professional look for the install. You should be aware if you decide to purchase custom keys only use upper case fonts. Using lower case will be hard to see and looks ugly over all.

The custom keys are also a different color (grey) when compared to the OEM keys (green). This is not a big issue but wanted to call this out.
                Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                X