Switching to Decora switch wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching to Decora switch wiring question

I recently had to replace a number of Insteon 6 Button keypad switches in my home. I was replacing "like with like" so even though I have no real wiring or electrical experience, it was a relatively easy swap.

I also need to change a switchLinc dimmer #2476D switch in one of the bedrooms. While all of my lights are controlled by an ISY994i, I was planning on just replacing this particular switch with a cheaper / generic Leviton Decora switch.

When I pulled off the panel, I see my old SwitchLinc switch (which is totally "frizzing" so I have to replace it), I see the ground wire, a White (Neutral) connected to a pair of White; a Red (load) connected to a black wire, and a Black (Line) connected to a Black.

In the Decora switch, (I do not need 3 way), it shows that I should connect my ground to the ground Screw, the Black (Line) to the Black terminal screw, and the Red (Load) to the Red terminal screw.

Basic question, but what do I do with the White (Neutral) in the box? Do I need to connect it somewhere to the Decora Switch? (There is no other place to connect it other than to a Terminal for 3 way application)

When I replaced the 6 Button Keypad, the red on the switch was not used, and it was Ground, Black and White. This wall wiring seems to be wired differently.

Thanx in advance. (Maybe I just leave the Neutral in the box twined together and there is no need to connect the Neutral directly to the Decora switch (but on the SwitchLinc that I am replacing, there was a white wire on the switch connected to the Neutral in the box.)

Thx very much.

Disconnect the white neutral from the old 2476D from the neutral bundle and leave to others in the bundle still connected to each other.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
      X