Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Question

Yesterday I moved a couple of older on/off switch & dimmer switch that were installed in a 3-way configuration in my laundry room. I replaced both switched with dimmers not realizing one was already a dimmer. Anyway this installation was successful.

In my kitchen I have two lights on separate switch. One light is on a single pole switch where plan on installed the insteon on/off. The other light is 3-way configuration & I plan on installed 2 dimmers. This is where a question is. In the one box, the two switches were sharing a single hot or common wire which is always hot. When I connect the line wire from both switches to this wire. Then connect the dimmer 3-way dimmers the same manner as I did in the laundry room. When I turn on the one dimer switch the on/off switch also turns on. I did factory reset all of the switches by pulling out the tab for 10 second & the pushing it back in for a few seconds until it sounds.

I put the 3-way switches back to dumb switch for now. I am just wondering if I need to pull a separate line wire but it shouldn't make any difference.

Box #1
    Dimmer 1 & On/Off

Red Wire - Hot/Common
    (2) Blue - Travelers

Box #2
    Dimmer #2
    Purple - Load to light
    (2) Blue Travelers

Insteon doesn't work like normal switches. To be a 3way, they need to be wired according to the manual and linked together.

Comment

For an Insteon 3-way, one switch needs load, line and neutral, while the responding switch(es) only needs line and neutral.

Often times the travelers are repurposed as line wires, since Insteon does not use travelers. One of your blue travelers would be added/moved/bundled to the incoming line wire and then hooked up to the line connection of the responding switch. You might have connected the to dimmer's load wire instead of the line wire, basically turning it into a kill switch.

Then, once the switches are working independently, you would make sure they are all in the on position and then go through linking switch A to B and then B back to A so both switches can control and respond to each as as lilyoyo1 suggests.

Comment

Working...
      X