Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple switch setup

Hi folks,

I've been using Insteon for about 12+ years at this point, and just recently replaced the switches in my new home with Insteon dimmer switches. I have a set of lights that can be controlled by 3 different switches that are hooked up correctly according to the diagram online, but the "box 2" switch that contains the traveler wires loses power when I turn on any of the 3 switches. They're all linked up using my Insteon PLM, so any of the 3 can turn on the lights, but the moment the lights are on, the 2nd switch loses power. It does apparently come back after a bit but the switch is unresponsive. This is the case whether I turn it on directly or via another software based method. I've confirmed that all 3 switches are connected correctly based on the Insteon diagram.

I've never seen that happen. If you swap the switch with a different one, does the behavior remain in that location or does it follow the switch?

I'd try factory resetting the switch and making sure there's not a loose wire.

Comment

Same behavior with a different switch. No loose wires - everything was checked twice. Only thing I can think of is that maybe something funny is happening in Box 1 or Box 3. Can't imagine what would allow it to work but kill power when it's on though.

Comment

If swapping the switch doesn't work there is something else going on. To me it does sound like you have a loose connection somewhere on that circuit ...but have you tried using a voltmeter at the 'offending' location to see what's going on with line, load and neutral voltage? We have seen in the past where the load, or neutral, was attached to line and so was feeding back into the switch causing odd behavior. Just a thought.

And to verify, only one switch directly controls, or is directly connected to the load. The other two are only connected via line and neutral?

Comment

Working...
        X