Six button keypad buttons blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six button keypad buttons blink

I just returned from a 3 week vacation and found that all of the buttons on the keypad dimmer that is connected to my front porch light blinks about once a second. The blinks are at one-second intervals -- two or three short blinks and then a long blink. See the video linked here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28oy7dg70c..._1750.MOV?dl=0 (not sure if the link below works).

I pulled out the air gap thingie and left the switch disconnected for an hour, but when I powered the switch back on, it immediately started doing this again.

I have two other keypads (kitchen, back door) and they're fine.

Is this a known failure mode? Any suggestions for fixing this? Tomorrow, I'll check the load to make sure a lamp in the porch light didn't short out, just in case it's trying to tell me something.

If I have to replace it, if I delete the device from the hub with the Insteon app (not the lighting app), will it unlink responders/ controllers from the other buttons, or will those be dangling forever? Is there a "device replace" procedure to make replacing a keypad easier?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by InvaderZim; 11-11-2022, 08:25 PM. Reason: Fixing link

Looks like a keypad power supply has a problem.
    Maybe a filter capacitor.
    You didn't mention its model number. There are older power line only models and dual band models.
    Don't use a HUB so can't give you any feedback on it.
    Do you have a HUB subscription with the new Insteon company?

Comment

BLH I didn't get any notifications about replies -- sorry for the delay. I do have an Insteon Hub 2 controlling it, but it was originally set up using HCA. Regardless, nothing changed -- it was just doing this one morning and now no longer controls the load.

Unfortunately, the Insteon app won't give me the model number but HCA (which I'm no longer using) says it's a 2486S KeypadLinc On/OFF (6 button faceplate).

I do have the hub subscription but it says the keypad is not responding. I left it air-gapped for 24 hours and that didn't help. I also replaced the bulbs in the fixture it controls in case one had shorted, and that made no difference either.

This weekend, I'll turn off the power and check to make sure that the wires are still properly connected -- it's in a 3-gang box and there are a lot of wires in there. Maybe there's a bad neutral or ground connection. I do have a whole-house surge protector and I found my wired-in devices are a lot more robust since I had that installed. So I don't think a surge killed it.

I was hoping someone had seen this failure mode before. If I have to replace it, I will (assuming they're available).

Comment

I hope someone with the exact problem can help.
        I have seen similar problems with loads and set led flashing and it was the power supply capacitors.
        You would only find the 2486S in auction sites. It was the older power line only module.
        2487S is the dual band model number.
        The later ones maybe available as. After they shut down completely. The new owners have some modules now available with more models to come in the future.
        Last edited by BLH; 11-17-2022, 04:20 AM. Reason: Found part number

Comment

Working...
        X