2441TH Thermostat Does Not Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2441TH Thermostat Does Not Power

I thought I would start a new topic instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

Anyway I just bought the comfort kit and wired up the 2441th with no success. My current thermostat was only using 4 of the 5 wires (blue was not used) and is battery powered. I wired up the 2441th and nothing happens. I measured the voltage and the systems is 24volts.

I attached a pic of the existing system.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Did you verify the wire connections on the controller end of the wiring ?
    The Blue wire may not be connected at the other end or the wiring may not be to what is the commonly used wire color pin out.

Comment

Thanks. Ill check it out.

Comment

got exactly the same issue!

initially i have a 4 wire thermostat, but actually it seems to me prewired for more: the red, white, yellow and green wires are used, however there are blue, black, orange and brown as well:

WP_20150124_003.jpg

since i have only one heater and one A/C, i didn't use the brown, orange and black ones:

WP_20150124_004.jpg

1. turned A/C power switch off.
        2. replaced the thermostats.
        3. closed the new thermostat's cover.
        4. turned A/C power switch on.

unfortunately nothing happened. i've checked the voltage on the red and blue wire - it's about 22.7 volts. is it enough?

i've tried the black wire instead of the blue one - no success.

no idea what to do. can i have some help?

Comment

Does the thermostat light up?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Same answer. Look at the Furnace controller end of the wire and see exactly what is connected to what color wire.

Comment

if the old was a battery you may need a fifth wire or eliminate the fan. I know the nest you can use 4 wire but the honeywell you need 5 wire. if you need a 5th wire you need a jumper put in. and move wire in your furnace I don't want to tell you what wire because I can't see what you have going on.

in most cases

white heat
              yellow ac
              green fan
              red hot 24 volt
              so you may need to add a wire for com. to keep display powered up. I would need to see wiring diagram to verify this.
              Last edited by Danowe36; 01-27-2015, 05:57 AM.
              Iphone 4
              Iphone 5
              Ipad
              Ipod touch
              2 galaxy 3
              2-D link 655
              23 insteon
              2 ezflora
              HUB
              HUB II
              also using Smartlinc
              1E.A2.0F

Comment

I checked the wires on the furnace end this morning and the blue wire was not connected to anything. I connected it and I will try to see if it will work when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                  Does the thermostat light up?
                  nope. this is the problem.

Comment

blackofe,

Disconnect the red and blue wires at the thermostat. What is the voltage between the disconnected red and blue wires?
                    Last edited by stusviews; 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM.
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Danowe36 View Post
                      if the old was a battery you may need a fifth wire or eliminate the fan. I know the nest you can use 4 wire but the honeywell you need 5 wire. if you need a 5th wire you need a jumper put in. and move wire in your furnace I don't want to tell you what wire because I can't see what you have going on.
                      initially I got a battery powered thermostat (named Robertshaw model 9600). following the manual it might be connected with 5 wires:

connections.png
                      however RC has been never used (see my pictures above) - there's a jumper connected RH and RC together. when I replaced the thermostat by the insteon, I've used the blue wire came out of the wall. may be I was wrong and I should use a jumper, too?

Originally posted by Danowe36 View Post
                      in most cases

white heat
                      yellow ac
                      green fan
                      red hot 24 volt
                      so you may need to add a wire for com. to keep display powered up. I would need to see wiring diagram to verify this.
                      this is the question. I used the blue wire connected to 24 VAC common. what if I was wrong? how can I check, if the blue wire works with insteon thermostat? should I use a jumper instead?

insteon proposes to use an additional device for 4-wire systems.
                      INSTEON Thermostat is designed to operate on a minimum 5-wire, 24V HVAC unit. If you have only 4 wires you can purchase the "Add-A-Wire" adapter item #304AAW from www.smarthome.com.
                      can it help? the only question: do I really need such a device, if I have 8 (!) wires coming out of the wall?

Comment

You have enough wires. But, when not used, as with the Robertshaw thermostat, the blue wire is not connected to anything at the other end (i.e., HVAC panel). Check the other end of the thermostat cable.

Comment

Well, I connected the blue wire inside the furnace to the only terminal that was open and i still get noting at the thermostat. Any more ideas?

Comment

Which terminal? Did it have a letter? What are all the terminals labelled? BTW, it's not a good idea to just randomly connect wires, you may burn something out.

Comment

Figured it out. The furnace had a terminal labeled "c". Connected the blue wire to that and everything works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X