Baffled by 4 wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffled by 4 wire

I have a forced air gas furnace, no air conditioning. The old thermostat had only three wires, red (24V), white (heat) and green (fan). It worked fine, and allowed me to independently switch on/off the fan (which I never do) as well as run the heat.

The Honeywell control module recently went out so I had a licensed HVAC contractor come replace it. While there, I showed him an Insteon thermostat I had purchased earlier (without installing it because I didn't have a common), and he connected a common (blue) wire to the control module and ran it to the thermostat. He connected the Insteon thermostat, and it seems to work...sort of.

It gets power and I can cycle through modes, set the clock, etc.
    I can turn the fan on and off.
    I can turn the heat on, and it works, but in a weird way.

Pre-fan comes on, lighter sparks, I hear the flames swoosh. Some time goes by, and the blower turns on, but it seems like the burner goes out at this point because while the air coming out of the vents is warm, it's not hot like it used to be. After some time with the blower going, the blower stops and I can hear the burner light again. With the old thermostat, the heater ran continuously until the set point on the thermostat was reached. It's not doing that now, it cycles on and off as described.

The instructions say I *must* use a five wire system, and if I have only four wires, I need an add-a-wire. Looking at the manual for the add-a-wire, I can't figure out how this will help. It lists instructions for AC, heat pump, etc. but not a situation like mine.

Does this have to do with the two stage heat, and can I maybe jumper the two stages together at the thermostat to make it do what it's supposed to do?

Thanks in advance.

-Kirk

It's not unusual for there to be one or two extra wires in a thermostat cable, so connecting the blue wire to provide a common is correct.

You do not need five wires for a heat only system, only four. If you originally had three wires connected to the old thermostat, then you do not have a second stage of heat.

As a test, remove the red and white wires from the thermostat and connect then together. Does the heat function normally? Alternatively, reinstall the old thermostat. Does the heat function normally?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately none of the documentation said four wires was ok for a heat only system. I bypassed the thermostat as you suggested (good idea, can't believe I didn't think of it) and the furnace does the same weird cycling. HVAC guy will be back out this week to have a look. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by KirkInSLO View Post
        Thanks. Unfortunately none of the documentation said four wires was ok for a heat only system.
        The documentation does not include instructions for heating only (does not use Y) nor cooling only (does not use W).

Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X