2441TH Thermostat Communication Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2441TH Thermostat Communication Errors

I've had some period alerts from the ISY admin console that the ISY can't communicate with the wired Thermostat. For the most part they were random so I ignored them. Today the messages were almost continuous so I tried to figure out how to resolve it. This system has been installed and working fine for almost two years and the thermostat is probably less than 10' from the PLM and there's a dual band keypad within about 12' so I assume the wireless communication should be robust. There is also an Access Point on the opposite side of the AC supply from the PLM and several other dual band devices in a 1500 ft sq ranch home.

​I tried putting the thermostat into Setup mode and then restoring the device and got an error writing to the device. I did a factory reset on the thermostat and tried restoring again, same result. Finally, I removed the device from the ISY and tried to add it back, and get an error that it can't identify the Insteon Engine. It seems to me that the thermostat has died. Is there something else I should try to resolve this issue? I'm waiting on hold for support at Smarthome to discuss getting a replacement thermostat.

Hi Terry,
    Did you make any progress with SH today on this? I found your posting here as one of my three 2441 Tstat adapters has started acting up in the week. Same deal where it has been in service and working fine with no changes for nearly 2 years now until last week. Same issue were communications to it have died, control signals to it still work however the adapter is no longer reporting back.

Probably not related but I have also experienced three more mass ALL ON events in last week or so. Prior to last week we had gone over a month without experiencing one. Just bad timing I suppose or more communication issues.

EDIT: my tstat issue looks to be an RF communication issue created when someone moved a unplugged non running mini refrigerator in front of Lamplinc Module (2457D2) that is 25 feet away and must be providing the RF link for the Stat. Even though there is a regular access point (2443) roughly 10 feet from the stat, another access point (2443) 50 feet and many other dual band devices in the house working great it seems the stat is not using them but instead the RF from the Lamplinc (2457d2). Moved the fridge 3 feet to the side and all is well for now.
    Last edited by junkycosmos; 01-06-2015, 11:31 PM.

Comment

How are you getting continuous messages from the ISY. Did you create a program? Are you logging out an in again. The ISY has a dedicated forum: http://forum.universal-devices.com/
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It seems like you have tried various troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue with your thermostat, but unfortunately, it appears that the device might be malfunctioning. Given the proximity of the thermostat to the PLM and the presence of other dual band devices in your home, the wireless communication should indeed be robust. Since you encountered errors while attempting to restore and add the thermostat back to the ISY, and the device couldn't be identified by the Insteon Engine, it's likely that the thermostat has indeed stopped functioning.

You mentioned that you are waiting on hold for support at Smarthome to discuss getting a replacement thermostat, and that is a suitable course of action in this situation. They should be able to guide you further and provide assistance in obtaining a replacement. It's unfortunate that the issue occurred after two years of trouble-free operation, but with the help of the support team, you should be able to resolve this issue and get your system back up and running smoothly.

Comment

Working...
        X