Controlling LampLinc with Motion Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling LampLinc with Motion Sensor

I'm new to the INSTEON product line and I have high hopes for it but I'm finding very little success in making things 'work.' At this point in my setup, I have the hub up and running and I have installed a motion sensor and a lamplinc controller on a single lamp. I installed the lamplinc first and got it functioning where I can control it from my phone/pc app or from it's built-in switches. It's working fine. I then setup the motion sensor and set it up as a controller for the lamplinc switch. It's PARTIALLY working. The motion sensor will turn my lamp on if it's off, but it will not switch the lamp off after the 15 minutes I have set up in the software. I DO have the #5 jumper set paired on the inside of the motion sensor as it was the default configuration out of the box. Any suggestions on what might work for this would be greatly appreciated.

The Motion Sensor has several settings. Verify that On Only Mode is not selected. When you press the set button on the MS, can you toggle the state of the lamp? What kind of bulb is in the lamp?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I did some tweaking with the Device Options "ON" using the android phone app and it appears to be working at the moment. The light did cut off for me after I reset everything. The light bulb is a standard non-dimmable fluorescent bulb.

I'm trying to use my phone and a Windows 8 PC to control the entire system and it's a bit confusing with the differences between those two interfaces. The Android phone app seems to be a little more intuitive than the Windows 8 app.

Anyway, this problem seems to be resolved.

Comment

You should not use a LampLinc for a non-dimmable bulb. Even at full on, a dimmer clips the waveform. You may greatly reduce the life of the LampLinc, the bulb or both. The correct device for a non-dimmable load is an On/Off Module.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I have already replaced the bulb with a dimmable bulb. I'm planning to get some on/off modules but the kit I bought came with two of these Lamplincs

Comment

I have similar setup and need help !
            I have hub, Motion sensor and Lamp Link. It is set-up to work in night. So, it sends text and switch on light when motion is detected. However, my expectation was as follows -
            a) Motion Sensor sends text message whenever motion is detected irrespective of time of the day (Security Monitoring)
            b) Lights are ON every day from 6 PM to 10 PM irrespective of Motion or not.
            c) Then light is switched ON only when motion is detected from 10 PM to 6 AM.
            d) Lights are not switched ON during the day.

Anyone has suggestion ?

Thanks for checking.

Comment

The Hub does not support conditionals, that is, "if this, then do that" kind of statements. If you need that ability then you'll have to use a more sophisticated Insteon manager such as an ISY or software. Software requires that a computer be powered on 24/7.

Comment

Working...
              X