I/O Linc Notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I/O Linc Notification

My I/O is wired using the relay only, for a spa heater. When closed the circuit is continued to the other relays that are part of the heater. I need to be notified when the relay closes. I get a notification when I press the button on the I/O Linc. There is no notification when closed by a scene or a schedule.

Does the I/O send a notification when the sensor is closed? If yes, is there a way to wire the relay terminal to the sensor terminal and not create an endless loop, and then get a notification?

It should send a sensor On or Off when the input changes. Easy way to test is connect a set of wires to the S and GND terminals. Then close and open the wires to each other. So the Sensor LED goes On and Off. Then see if what you are controlling the I/OLinc sees the Sensor status change from On and Off.

One big thing to consider. The sensor input is designed for a dry closure as it supplies the 5 volt sensing voltage and is connected through a few components directly to an input on the controller chip. So no external voltage should be applied to the Sensor Input.
    I guess if you had a relay controlled by turning on and off the output and use its dry contacts to switch the sensor it may work.
    Last edited by BLH; 04-24-2024, 02:49 AM. Reason: Correct a statement

Comment

Did a test.
      Version V2.3, firmware v.41
      It sent a sensor on when the sensor was activated and an off when deactivated.

Comment

I did a few tests as well. rev 2.4 4216. Enabled the software setting to send the notification, closed S to Com and notification sent. I'm lucky the relay is controlling a 24vac circuit. I can wire in a 24vac relay and have it close a loop to S and Com. I have enabled "sensor triggers relay", I probably don't need that since the relay is already triggered.

In this application I learned that there is no 24vac until all the other sensors in the heater are in the on position. There has to be sufficient water flow, so the spa pump has to be running.

I'm doing everyone that wants the feature of notifications from scenes or when a device is turned on/off from software rather than a manual touch. As soon as I'm wired up, the feature will be in a Director upgrade!

Thanks for your input

Comment

You are welcome.
          Sounds good.
          Will be interested on how it worked. When done.

Comment

I am assuming the 24vac current is not enough to draw in the external relay. The relay I am using will activate with as little as 17mA@24v. The led on the external relay lights up but does not open or close its relay. It does pass the continuity, so the circuit closes, and the heater ignites.

By your consideration above, connecting the 24vac leads through the sensor, for continuity, is not considered a dry contact?

Comment

It's not a dry contact. The iolinc can handle up to 5 volts. It's not meant to energize a relay directly, only via dry contact closure

Comment

Yes it is a dry contact input design. With it own internally generated +5 volt supply and what the users manual shows but is not too clear. As it also said no more than +5 Volts is OK. You can put a dry contact on the Sensor and GND and it works fine with no external +5 volts.
                Putting +5 volts into it the manual indicates was also OK.
                Last edited by BLH; 04-30-2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear.. I meant the 24vac device terminals were not dry contact and not compatible with the iolinc

Comment

Thanks, it's clear I shouldn't connect the 24vac to the sensor side of the I/O. My goal is to get a notification when the I/O is activated, and the sensor side will do that. My dilemma is triggering the sensor using an external relay activated when I/O completes the circuit.

My issue is I cannot find specs on what the amps/current of the 24vac is. The device is a gas spa heater, and the 24vac is the circuit that has several sensors in series that allow the burner to light once there is continuity on the circuit.

I've attached what I'm trying to do. I have another thought. Forget the external relay and use diodes to reduce the voltage and then connect directly to the sensor side. From what I've searched, I can reduce 24vac to 5vdc.

If there is another way to go about getting a notification?

Doesnt work.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Neither the input or the output of the iolinc should touch 24vac.

So to clarify, you want to track with the iolinc the fact that the heater is on or off?

If yes, you don't need the relay side of the iolinc , don't connect it... just use the inputs. Between the 24vdc energized by the spa heater and the iolinc inputs, you need a relay.
                      A simple 24vdc > dry contacts relay will work, or this: https://www.functionaldevices.com/product/rib24p/

Can't comment on the diode solution, I don't know about that.
                      Last edited by paulbates; 05-01-2024, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I would personally use a external relay and not get the S input even possibly seeing any 24VAC.
                        As it is 5V DC or dry contact input.
                        Reference only: Most of the manual versions did no specify a relay rating.
                        One of the early ones did say 5 Amps @ 30V (AC or DC) another said < 30.

Comment

Yes, my goal is to know when the heater is on. The pump to the spa heater is controlled by Insteon, and comes on daily for circulation purposes. During those times, if the iolinc is also on, then the heater lights. During those times the pool pump, also controlled by Insteon, is on and since my spa is a spill over, now I'm heating the whole pool. Not good. The problem lately is the iolinc gets turned on unexpectedly. There is some scene, some combination of devices, or an external spurious emission that is turning on the iolinc.

I don't won't to damage the iolinc, but I've been using the relay side since converting from X-10 in 2017. My pool builder installed the X-10 equivalent to iolinc in 1995. The spa heater had a pilot light, and the X-10 turned the heater on and off by completing the continuity to the main gas valve. Today the heater is electronic ignition but it's the same principle of continuity, albeit there's the 24vac. I never measured what the voltage was when using the X-10, I don't think there was any, that type of circuit is called something else.

Maybe the correct terminology is it's a thermostat circuit. The current in the circuit has to be less than 17mA because that is the size external relay I tried. The current will not activate the magnet of the relay.

As far as diodes, that is a way to reduce voltage. I was hoping someone here might know about those. I know enough to be dangerous.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 081212.png

Comment

Looked at your relay connection in the post.
                            That probably will not work.
                            The relay coil and SPA Heater control are in series.
                            So the 24V is dropping between the two elements.
                            The relay coil and heater control will have part of the 24V across each. Split between them.
                            Does the heater control even turn On when the coil is part of the setup?
                            If it does then the coil has almost no voltage across the input.
                            Can you measure the voltage on the coil ad see what it is?

Comment

Working...
                            X