Outdoor Wireless IP Camera Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Wireless IP Camera Power

I am installing one of your wireless IP cameras, but needed to run power to the location where the camera will be mounted. The easiest solution I can find is to run Ethernet to the location and use PoE injection, but needed to find out the size of the power adapter that would be needed.

Use the included power adapter.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Using the included adapter should work. With a passive PoE Injector Splitter Kit. Unless there is too much voltage dropped in the Ethernet cable.
      We occasionally saw that with the X10 Airsight Cameras. Though I have no idea how well the X10 PoE injectors where designed.

If you used an active one where the camera end splitter has a voltage regulator in it and the injector can be as high as 48 VDC. The original power adapter should give you the specifications that the camera needs.
      Last edited by BLH; 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

That is the plan to use PoE injector, but the issue I was asking about was what was the size of the pipe on the power adapter that it came with; this way i could just purchase the splitter with the proper sized pipe without having to rewire it.

Comment

Oh I thought you needed the power supplies ratings.
          You are looking for the coaxial plugs size. Usually given in outer diameter and middle pin size.

Comment

You'll need a (standard) 2.1mm x 5.5mm 5 volt, 2 amp power supply and a 1.35mm x 3.5mm to 2.1mm x 5.5mm converter at the camera end.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
            X