DNS and Insteon IP camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNS and Insteon IP camera

How does the DNS work the these Insteon cameras? As the insteon app only allows an IP address to be entered---normally you must enter in the DNS name, not an IP address

​I should note that this is a 2864-232 HD Outdoor IP camera and in the configuration for mfgs DDNS it defaults to http://connect.insteon.com
    Last edited by GNXGuy; 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM.

All the IP cameras I've used , Insteon or other, require a service or IP address.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

​I should note that this is a 2864-232 HD Outdoor IP camera and in the configuration for mfgs DDNS it defaults to http://connect.insteon.com​
      Last edited by GNXGuy; 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The connect.insteon website is not a DNS to the camera, it's a DNS to the Hub.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
          The connect.insteon website is not a DNS to the camera, it's a DNS to the Hub.
          ​I guess it's using P2P then as that DNS is shown when I log into the camera . I can access the camera directly without going thru the hub. The indoor camera uses a traditional DNS name in its setup

Comment

Working...
          X