Power failure questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power failure questions

Hi, newbie here, although I have been using 2245-222 hub, light switches, etc. for over a year. Never paid any attention until now about what happens when there is a power failure. I know when internet fails, but there is power, the hub still manages the time schedules and scenes. But, when power fails and comes back on after some of the scheduled time, there is no recovery. E.g., if I have a scheduled light to come on at 6pm, and power failed at 5:59 pm, but comes back at 6:01pm, my light will not come on. Is there any way around this other than to buy a battery backup-ups for the hub? Assuming I have a ups, will my lights be on when power comes back?

One further question. If the hub is connected to the ups, can it control the light switches at all, or can it control via RF?
    Last edited by krist8; 01-07-2017, 12:22 PM.

If you plug the Hub into a UPS, then you totally lose powerline communication. RF is considerable less reliable that is the powerline. You won't harm anything by trying.

But even if the Hub is on a UPS, when you lose power, there'll be nothing to control, so you'll be in the same situation.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The Insteon power line communications will be absorbed by the AC input filters and conditioners. So it would be using RF only.
      Many UPS units have a modified sine wave output. I am not too sure how the HUB's power supply will act on that power. If it is not very close to a 60 cycle output. The HUB may just not send anything as it uses the power line frequency of 60 or 50 cycles for timing.

Comment

So, ups does not solve my scenarios as stated in my op, i.e., power comes back on after failure, but the scheduled activities have passed, leaving my lights in the off-state. Are there other options?

Comment

An ISY offers the option to run missed schedules. Or you could add another On schedule, say, for 10 minutes later. If the light is already on, then it won't matter.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

This may be a good time for the OP to add this *Schedule Catch Up* to the Insteon Wish List: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...vice-wish-list

Asking is free and you never know . . .
            Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
            X