Hub Pro and HomeKit Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Pro and HomeKit Scenes

I have HomeKit controlling Hue, Insteon and Ecobee stuff. It is neat but I am running against a couple limitations - most importantly - Insteon keypads do not work. (well beyond just controlling the state of the one device to which it is attached).

Ideally, Insteon would provide an update that would enable support for keypads (at one point I thought I read this was coming soon), which would then of course set a HomeKit scene. I am a developer, and as I am reading the info online (much of the MFI stuff is not available though), is it even possible for a HomeKit Accessory or Bridge to set a scene directly? Some of this seems to be as clear as mud.

Anyone know? It would be nice at least if Intseon would support Keypad buttons as switches that at least could trigger a scene. But, I still would like to know if it is even possible with the HomeKit spec for a bridge or accessory to just say "start the evening scene".

Thanks!

Much of what the Hub Pro is capable of it dictated by Apple. Here's a list of currently supported devices and features.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I get that there are rules with HomeKit. But, I would doubt they would prevent Insteon from bridging the Keypad as a 6 different switches. It would really go a long way to solving the physical button scene problem.

Any guess to the other question? If a HomeKit accessory can directly trigger a scene?

Comment

Apple only requires that devices meet their specifications. At this time secondary buttons do not meet their requirements. If it was easy to do and also keep within the Insteon specifications (see: Insteon Details) Insteon Labs would have done it.

Only Insteon devices can trigger Insteon scenes.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Hi Again!

It looks like iOS 10.3 is actually adding support for Programmable Switches. There have been some comments from Philips Hue that they intend to expose their switches to HomeKit. This new addition to HomeKit may very well solve what I was going for with this thread. I know there is an update to the Insteon+ app coming, I am curious if you guy are waiting for 10.3 to be released? And also if you intend to support exposing the keypads and other switches to HomeKit via the Hub Pro?

Thanks!

Comment

IOS 10.3 is out! Any update on programmable switches? Also any idea when the app crash bug will be fixed regarding homekit Schedules?

Comment

Insteon would need to update the software on the Hub Pro to expose the additional KeyPad Link buttons as extra "services" (in HomeKit speak) to HomeKit.

You can currently use a supported Insteon device start a HomeKit scene using HomeKit automation which requires an AppleTV (or iPad). In the Automation section of the Home app you can create a "An Accessory is Controlled" automation. You then pick the accessory, when it turns on or off, and then what to do.
              image_2022.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X