Insteon Hub Pro w/Homekit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub Pro w/Homekit question

Can someone answer a few questions I had about the Insteon Hub Pro (2243-222) vs the (2245-222). I read the comparison chart but am still a bit confused.

Does the Hub Pro allow you to use existing Insteon devices with Apple's new "Home" app?

I have about 15 Insteon wall switches, plug in modules, LED and outdoor plug ins. I currently use Indigo to control all of them. I wanted to start to buy HomeKit type devices. It appears that this device allows you to use exisitng Insteon with new homekit devices all inside the Insteon+ app. My question is does this hub allow the reverse, can you control the existing insteon devices by using the new Apple "Home" app or other Homekit control app by having this Hub Pro in the middle?

thank you

I would humbly suggest that you sit and wait for Apple's Home Kit be further developed and supported. Apple Home Kit has been out more than two years now and has barely gained any traction with respect to Insteon. There are better and tighter voice integration solutions from Amazon Echo, Dot, Tap then there is from Apple Siri.

Even though Googles Voice Home just got released I also expect to see more traction and support than for Apples Home Kit. Having been in half a dozen homes all *Trying* to use Apple Home Kit is like watching a little child flounder in the shallows.

Its not pretty and it has a long way to go in the Home Automation space . . .
    Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

These are great suggestions and info, thank you. I have been happy with my old Insteon Indigo setup but was in the market for more devices. I didn't know if I should continue to buy Insteon or start buying other devices. When I started looking into it all I noticed the 2245-222 is really cheap on amazon and Indigo wants a fairly large amount for their v7 software.

This got me thinking about my setup. It sounds like not much has changed really and I should just stay put and continue to use what I have, buying new insteon modules where needed. If anything, pick up the 2245-222 for cheap and see if I prefer that over Indigo. My main need right now is a few new lamp modules and would be nice to use siri to flip some lights/scenes on.

I did buy the Hub Pro about a year ago and it was a disaster. never got it to work and returned it. So that was another negative but I thought maybe it was the Insteon+ app so I started thinking maybe HomeKit has evolved. Sounds like it has not.

After I asked this question I also saw something called "Homebridge" which allows Indigo to act like what the Hub Pro probably does - I may just try that for fun.
      Last edited by outlanderbz; 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

To be fair the HUB II is intended as a low entry home automation controller which offers the average user a quick point and shoot capability with a very nice smartphone application UI. Considering it integrates with Amazon Echo, Sonos, Harmony, Stringify, for the money it offers lots of value.

But its a very basic controller which most will out grow in time . . .

Apple Home Kit has been very much an after thought with Apple and the best they could muster after two long years was to release a widget for the iPhone?!?! Given also the fact any home kit device must include an approved and certified security chip has also slowed down lots of supporters. The biggest knock on using both the HUB II, HUB Pro, Apple Home Kit is all of it is cloud based.

The difference is with any third party controller now you have more than two hops just to make something operate?

I can't see anything going wrong with that down the road . , ,
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
        X