Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction of Hub causing issues with previous setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction of Hub causing issues with previous setup?

I have had an issue bugging me for quite some time, ever since introducing an Insteon Hub to my setup. Something probably very basic/simple occurred, but I can't figure it out.

Previously, I had everything running by control of a 2413S (Serial PowerLinc Modem), interfaced with Windows Home Server (the older version, running the mControl application). With mControl, I have all of my schedules set up, just as I want them. The introduction of the Hub was more of a nice-to-have addition, to allow smart phone control. I have a pretty simple setup (several light switches and several appliance modules).

​Since introduction of the Hub, however, one of my light switches (a 2477S, dual-band) has been unable to be controlled (or even have its status seen) by the pre-existing 2413S modem. In mControl (on WHS), it lists the device as always at 100% (on) - even when it's not - and when I send commands to it from the 2413S the light on it blinks (seemingly acknowledging I'm trying to tell it something).

​The Hub is now the only device I can use to control this switch ... and with my phone (WP8) it's becoming quite a bit of a pain. I really want to get it back to being controlled by the 2413S modem.

​What did I possibly do to this switch, to make it think that it can only be controlled (or talked to) only by the Hub now? I figure there's some sort of pairing function or something that I inadvertently did that is causing this.

​Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by brabq; 12-31-2014, 03:51 PM.

What is the result if you unplug/disconnect the Hub? Is it possible that you added something/plugged something in unrelated such as a phone charger? Have you tried removing and re-adding the 2477S to mControl?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I actually have tried unplugging the hub, removing/re-adding the 2477s in mControl, and also *switching out* the 2477s with another (spare) one. I probably should have included that last part in my original post (sorry!). I also added in a 2443 (access point) nearby, with no luck.

I'm thinking maybe there's a cache in mControl that needs to be totally cleared, to remove some wacky setting?

Comment

http://www.embeddedautomation.com/support/index.asp
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Still no dice here on solving this one. To make matters more interesting, I have discovered that manually turning on this switch (that refuses to be controlled by mControl) causes an indoor appliance model to simultaneously be shut off.

​This makes me think something is oddly "paired" somewhere ... I've never setup scenes or triggers or what not, but it seems that I've got one set somewhere?

Comment

Sounds like an mControl difficulty. Are you using both mControl AND the Hub to create scenes? Using any software plus the Hub can lead to unpredictable results.

Comment

A quick follow-up to this, in case anyone else should stumble upon this thread. It turns out that the switch (SwitchLinc) was accidentally "linked" to an appliance module. As soon as I cleared this ("unlinking" it), and re-linked it with the modem (2413S), everything works fine.

I was definitely taking a too-simplistic view of these Insteon devices. I really only intend to use them as controlled by mControl software (or an app and the Hub). Until now, I did not know how to "link" (or "unlink"), which is pretty powerful but still not necessary for my setup.

Thanks for your help, Stu!

Comment

Working...
              X