Hub and X-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub and X-10

Just got the Insteon Hub kit from MS (Hub, Camera, one light module) and it seems to be working OK. Windows apps need work as has been noted here. I have been an X-10 user for many years (started early 80's) It is possible to assign X-10 devices/addresses in the software, but I have yet to get one to work. Is there some trick? Does the hub itself do powerline commands, or do I need something else to listen to the hub and forward commands. I have some 2443 Access Points but pulled them when I put in the hub starter kit.

2443 Access Points and the new 2992-222 Range Extender do not repeat or couple X10 power line commands. So putting the 2443 Access Points back would not do anything for X10. Would not hurt X10 messages either.
    Insteon Modules do not repeat X10 messages only Insteon messages. So you still may need some X10 phase coupling if you don't have any now.

Comment

If the Access Points are properly installed, not simply plugged in, then they will bridge the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply for both INSTEON and X10 signals. But, as BLH indicated, they don't repeat X10 signals. Neither do X10 modules.

If you have any plug-in X10 modules, then try plugging one into the same duplex receptacle as the Hub for a test. You can use a power strip or tri-tap if needed, but not a surge suppressor.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks. Dug up the 2443 manual and found that wasn't going to help. I take it that the Hub transmits X-10 via the power cord? Doesn't do some wireless thing to devices and they re-broadcast. I may have the hub connected to a surge arrester strip, which may be the issue. I'll play with it some more. Shouldn't need anything special beyond the hub though I gather, so that is a valuable piece of info.

Comment

The Hub transmits X10 command over the powerline only. The wireless re-broadcasting (mesh network) is part the newer INSTEON, dual band devices which communicate over powerline and RF. The more dual band devices you have, the stronger the network becomes. X10 is the opposite; every device absorbs a bit of signal lots of devices tends to degrade the signal level.

In my experience, X10 signals from the Hub are not as robust as those from a standalone mini controller, for example.

Comment

Actually, all powerline devices absorb some of the signal, but INSTEON device repeat the signal and X10 modules do not.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
            X