Insteon HUB on UPS Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon HUB on UPS Power

Is the Insteon Hub supposed to be on UPS power? At the very least plugged into a dedicated wall outlet. I have had 3 hubs go bad in the last 18 months all after power outages. I have had my hub plugged into a terminal strip with my router, tv, firestick & other electronics. Insteon told me that was a BIG NO NO. Now I am in the process of trying to get them to replace my hub for the fourth time. This is after they guaranteed me that I would not have this issue again.

The issue is that, my hub has a solid red LED. If a screw with it for long enough, I might be able to get it to go green again. That is a big if. This time I have not been so lucky. A couple of months ago I was lucky. I have tried resetting & rebooting the stupid thing numerous times to no avail. Insteon had me do the network diagnostics test which failed miserably. I will find out tomorrow what the status is. I would really like a credit and just put it towards an ISY. I might be better off in the long run instead of these cheap pieces of crap!

So, If I do need a UPS does anyone have a suggestion?

If you're getting surges like that, I would recommend fixing the underlying issue than putting a band-aid on it.

In regards to needing a ups, it's not recommended as it can interfere with Insteon signals. There are people who use them with Insteon without issue but many more that ends up with communication issues.

Comment

The UPS AC power line filtering. Will absorb the Insteon power line signals as noise. When on backup power. Depending on the AC wave form. It could effect the modules power supply.

A HUB or PLM for an ISY994i should not be on the UPS output or plugged into the same outlet as the UPS AC power cord.

On mine I have the UPS AC on the filtered output of a FilterLinc and the ISY994i's PLM in the unfiltered pass through outlet on the front of the FilterLinc.

Comment

Sounds like you are getting power surges from somewhere. BLH has a good suggestion with the Filterlinc.

You might also look at a whole house surge protector. They used to be several hundred dollars but Intermatic came out with a smaller version that is about $50. It will protect all your electronics from these surges which are slowly degrading all your electronic devices'.

Comment

It is funny that each failure coincides with a power failure. Why is nothing else in my house affected if I am getting surges? Would it be acceptable to use a good computer grade surge protector with the Filterlinc?

Comment

I would recommend a good quality plug-in surge protector. One that only helps with voltage surges and not the type what also have some noise filtering abilities. Noise filtering power strips can attenuate the Insteon powerline signal while. I like this one from Tripp Lite, very simple at clamping down on voltages especially the nasty electricity that occurs when the power comes back on.
            Tripp Lite's portable TRAVELER100BT surge suppressor offers complete AC and Ethernet or phone line surge suppression for laptops, electronic notepads, personal organizers and other portable electronic devices. Compact portable housing weighing less than 4 ounces neatly fits into laptop travel cases. Retractable plug prevents scratching of expensive portable electronics. Set of RJ45 Ethernet or telephone line suppression jacks protect network lines or dialup and DSL modem lines. TRAVELER100BT offers 2 total outlets in a space saving direct plug-in format and diagnostic LEDs to warn of wiring problems and suppressor damage. $50,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance (U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico only).PLUG/OUTLETS: Input: NEMA5-15P/Output: 2 NEMA5-15RELECTRICAL: 120V AC, 50/60Hz, 15A (Requires NEMA5-15R wall receptacle)FORMAT: Direct plug-in suppressor hangs off of standard wall socketSUPPRESSION: AC: 140V RMS Clamping/1050 joules/400V UL1449 Let-through Rating Phone: Single Ethernet or telephone line surge suppression (RJ45 jacks, 2 wire, 1 line)

Comment

Originally posted by jadesse View Post
              It is funny that each failure coincides with a power failure. Why is nothing else in my house affected if I am getting surges? Would it be acceptable to use a good computer grade surge protector with the Filterlinc?
              This goes both ways. While one would hope the hub wouldn't fail that way, the fact that you have so many is indicative of a bigger issue. Simply looking at the device itself can cause bigger headaches later on for you. It could be that particular location or circuit. One can only speculate since it's not our place to investigate. Me personally, I would plug into a different location vs continuing to use the same one.

You can plug things into whatever you want. It doesn't hurt to try since you already know what to look for. If you don't have comm issues I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
              X