Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Windows Phone App is a Disaster -- ROLL IT BACK, Insteon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Windows Phone App is a Disaster -- ROLL IT BACK, Insteon!

I'm not going to sugar coat it -- the latest Insteon app for Windows Phone is a disaster and the latest Windows 8.1 app lost existing functionality. Both updates were rolled out on 6/16-6/17, and both need to be rolled back ASAP. Some of these flaws have been noted by previous users, but to confirm my experience:

Windows Phone App v1.20
    • The app no longer works remotely (i.e. over mobile data networks) at all, only over local wi-fi where the Insteon Hub resides. When connecting remotely device status is unavailable, device control does not work, and the app repeatedly pops up a "can't connect to hub" dialog box about every 10 seconds. It's completely infuriating. What is the point of a mobile phone app that doesn't work remotely?
    • Even on a local wi-fi network, Insteon thermostat control is completely broken.
    • Cortana voice integration/control is now completely broken.
    • There's probably more, but I stopped using the app because it's so useless.

Windows 8.1 App v1.20
    • I have only tried it on the local wi-fi network and Insteon thermostat control is completely broken.
    • I have not tested the app much further, but I wouldn;t be surprised to find other issues.

Simply stated, it was a complete mistake for Insteon to deploy the latest Windows Phone app. It adds no functionality that I can discern, and it is badly broken. Given Insteon's track record of bug fixes, I don't expect them to address these issues soon, so their only move is to roll it back ASAP. I'm hearing that both apps represent a new universal app, and it I get the sense that Insteon is focusing on Windows 10 and their new Hub Pro which, oddly, is LESS functional than their standard hub even though it is newer and wears the laughable "Pro" moniker. The Hub Pro inexplicably ditches compatibility with a long list of Insteon devices (http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...s-with-insteon), so I'm concerned that the latest apps represent the future of Insteon support for a system that I deployed only a year ago. Considering that Insteon is a closed, proprietary system and that they control all the hardware and software, it is beyond comprehension that they can't make everything work together. I might expect this when cobbling together a multi-vendor solution based on loose standards, but a single vendor solution? Inexcusable.

I have contacted Insteon Support several times and they have no answers. Their support techs simply say that it's all in the developers' hands so they sheepishly say they have no useful information and they can't make any promises. Twice they've offered to have a support supervisor contact me to discuss my suggestion of rolling back these apps, but neither of the 2 supervisors contacted returned my calls. The wait times for their phone support line were quite long both times I called this week (30-45 minutes) so I have to think they are causing themselves some serious pain with these shoddy updates.

ROLL BACK THESE TERRIBLE APPS, INSTEON!

I won't coat it with sugar neither.
    That is bad news: when a compagny lose control over the softwares that runs their product, it's the beginnig of the end. Too bad I spent all that money in the last months (I'm quite new to Insteon) for something that can turn into garbage anytime soon.
    I can't remember a more frustrating experience with hardware-software mess.

Comment

Complete crap.... nothing else to say

Comment

I have been using the Windows Phone App (HTC One) with the upgrade and have had no problems whatsoever. It works over LTE as well as WiFi. In my opinion, the new App is much quick and responsive than the prior App so I do not want them to roll back anything. Fix any bugs and go forward. Never backward.

Comment

Originally posted by synth80s View Post
          ROLL BACK THESE TERRIBLE APPS, INSTEON!
          Agree on that. It has been 6 days I am not able to use my Insteon system with the Windows APP on my phone.
          At this moment I have plenty of Insteon devices in my home completely USELESS!!!

Comment

Doesn't INSTEON have quality control personnel ?are they sleeping?,,, wake up...
            ​The earlier systems are stable and work quite well . We need to move forward with what is in place.
            ​Better software can make or break for sure. We need to all strike to not buy new INSTEON products until quality control has risen.
            Strike Strike Strike we shall prevail.

Comment

Seriously guys. You can't have it both ways (well, you could, but that's probably not going to happen in this situation). We can't complain things weren't working properly with the old version, and then complain when they try and move forward. I'm totally fine with them breaking a few things if they can get to a fully featured, stable app in a relatively short period of time. Let's see some incremental updates INSTEON.

Better yet, if you've found a bug, screenshot it step by step and post it here. We know INSTEON isn't going to respond directly on these forums, but sure as shootin' I'll bet you they keep on eye on them.

Comment

Here's what I see after installing the June 28th update (btw - using a Lumia 925). I still get constant hub connection errors over a cell data connection and nothing is controllable. I have tried rebooting the hub - no change. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

​Over local wifi I mostly don't see the connection errors (I get them occasionally) and I can somewhat control a switches and scenes. My Insteon Thermostat doesn't work at all (it works from other apps). It seems most of my trouble with switches not functioning is the difficulty in actually hitting the action link in the UI. I've enabled sounds to acknowledge key presses, and I notice that much of the time I select the On or Off action I don't hear any sound but the dialog box disappears. I almost need to use the edge of a fingernail to precisely target the action and get an acknowledgement sound, but even that doesn't always work.

​With Cortana, well, forget it ... let's just get this working to the level the old app was working first. She can at least start the app.

​I did notice that the release notes, before installing the update, said something like "please bear with us while we work through the troubles". I guess Insteon at least knows their latest updates are a disaster. It's a shame since the old app worked nearly flawlessly for me with all of my devices (even Cortana usually worked). I guess this was a complete rewrite(?)

Comment

Originally posted by DiesIrae View Post
                  Here's what I see after installing the June 28th update (btw - using a Lumia 925). I still get constant hub connection errors over a cell data connection and nothing is controllable. I have tried rebooting the hub - no change. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

​Over local wifi I mostly don't see the connection errors (I get them occasionally) and I can somewhat control a switches and scenes. My Insteon Thermostat doesn't work at all (it works from other apps). It seems most of my trouble with switches not functioning is the difficulty in actually hitting the action link in the UI. I've enabled sounds to acknowledge key presses, and I notice that much of the time I select the On or Off action I don't hear any sound but the dialog box disappears. I almost need to use the edge of a fingernail to precisely target the action and get an acknowledgement sound, but even that doesn't always work.

​With Cortana, well, forget it ... let's just get this working to the level the old app was working first. She can at least start the app.

​I did notice that the release notes, before installing the update, said something like "please bear with us while we work through the troubles". I guess Insteon at least knows their latest updates are a disaster. It's a shame since the old app worked nearly flawlessly for me with all of my devices (even Cortana usually worked). I guess this was a complete rewrite(?)

​Hey, man, thanks for describing exactly what is happening with the insteon for hub app for Windows Phone!

​Regarding your last paragraph, I also remember Insteon e-mail telling Windows Phone users to prepare receiving shortly (later this year) what would be the Windows 10 version of the app. Maybe this could be the issue...

​Well, not being able to connect outside LAN is really the same to say it is not working at all... And, we know the setup is absolutelly correctly installed at our houses, with routers which were working flawlessly, virtual machine setup, fixed IP for the Hub and so on... Not a setup problem at all! Cheers guys! I get the feeling everything will be fine at the end! At least, the UI of the last version is already much better...

Comment

Originally posted by Caio View Post
                    ... And, we know the setup is absolutelly correctly installed at our houses, with routers which were working flawlessly, virtual machine setup, fixed IP for the Hub and so on... Not a setup problem at all! Cheers guys! I get the feeling everything will be fine at the end! At least, the UI of the last version is already much better...
                    It is not a setup problem since in my house I have a Windows phone while my wife has an Android phone. I cannot use the Insteon system since this horrible piece of software, while for my wife nothing changes, everything is working smooth for her.
                    This situation is very bad!!!

Comment

I setup an ikev2 VPN connection on my phone to my house, which isn't something most users will be able to do, and this got me to being able to run the Windows Phone App without the constant connection errors. However, the biggest issue now is that I simply can't get the action buttons to work when pressed. My success rate is probably about 5% ore less. As I previously mentioned, with the sound enabled I can hear when it registers that I've hit "on" or "off". I've tried taping all around the action labels to see if I can find the "sweet" spot and I can't find a pattern. I get similar behavior on wifi in the LAN. Is this just my phone (Lumia 925) or is anyone else having similar difficulties?

​It's really hard to fathom that Insteon would pull a working app and deploy this disaster and just leave it out here with it's formerly mostly happy users with no workarounds for this long. I get that there are few Windows Phone users. Fine. Then at least give us back the old app, which worked fine, and then leave it alone. Not buying anymore Insteon stuff (pretty disgusted with myself for having invested a couple thousand dollars in Insteon gear to this point).

Comment

More than 1 month passed...and no fix delivered yet.
                        That's a shame!

Comment

Completely broken. Support is not there. I just keep getting, "We are working on the issues." How can you possibly release an app that doesn't pass alpha testing. Forget beta. They updated me to a new hub, and alerts has not been working. I called on that, and apparently, they are having problems with that too.

​No public explanation, and no updates whatsoever.

Comment

Just got the last update on 08-07-15. Lumia 435. Still broken for me. I uninstalled previous version, re-install the version released today but it is not fixed yet. It can't control anything even from the local network. Almost 2 months without basic functionality with my devices. A few hundreds bucks spent on this system...
                            Now what?

Comment

• BetaTestCoordinator
                              BetaTestCoordinator commented
                              Editing a comment
                              KX3, what model hub are you running? Are you able to login to the Insteon for Hub app locally or remotely?

Hub is 2242-222. I bought it new in December 2014. While the WP app wasn't quick to login, it did what it was supposed to do. Now, since the june "downgrade" it won't even turn the lights on or off. Sensor state is working and image from cams are working. But I have no control on devices. Win 8.1 desktop works, so the problem is not on my network. Port Forwarding and everythikng worked before. Works with my Android tab too.

Comment

Working...
                            X