Insteon+ SwitchLinc HomeKit Associated Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon+ SwitchLinc HomeKit Associated Service

There doesn't appear to be a dedicated Hub Pro/Insteon+ App section of the forum so if this needs to be somewhere else please let me know...

Using the Hub Pro and the Insteon+ app I am controlling my Insteon gear using HomeKit. One problem I've run into is the associated service that the Insteon+ app classifies a device as. For example, I have an In-wall dimmer module controlling a bathroom fan. The dimmer itself works great and I have no issues controlling it using the Insteon+ app. However, it appears that Insteon associates all of the dimmer modules as "Light Bulbs" in HomeKit and there isn't currently a way to change that through the app. After talking it over with @brutella (the dev behind the 'Home' app on iOS) is appears the associated service type can be changed if the device is shown to HomeKit as either a switch or an outlet, but as the Insteon+ app isn't telling HomeKit it's a switch, odd things happen when you ask Siri to 'Turn on all of the lights" and your bathroom fan turns on along with the "true" lights. Has anyone else run into this?
    Hub Pro (2243-222), 11 SwitchLinc Dimmers (2477D), 5 LampLincs (2457D2), 3 6-Button Keypad Dimmer Switches (2334-232), 3 FanLincs (2475F), 1 In-LineLinc Dimmer (2475DA1), ecobee3 HomeKit Thermostat

Knowing that the standard on/off SwitchLinc will give me the option I need makes it a no-brainer to switch it out. I just happened to have an additional dimmer so that's what I used. I was curious about the variable speed myself, but thinking that the FanLinc module essentially does the same thing I figured I was in the clear. Thanks for the info!
    Hub Pro (2243-222), 11 SwitchLinc Dimmers (2477D), 5 LampLincs (2457D2), 3 6-Button Keypad Dimmer Switches (2334-232), 3 FanLincs (2475F), 1 In-LineLinc Dimmer (2475DA1), ecobee3 HomeKit Thermostat

Comment

Good info. I've already placed an order through SmartHome for the standard switch to replace the dimmer. Is it safe to use the dimmer for now in the fully on position or should it be left alone until the switch gets in?

Comment

Even at full on (100%) TRIACs clip the waveform. Bypass the dimmer altogether and use the chain to control the fan.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X