iOS App and X10 Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS App and X10 Devices

I have been using X10 devices for years with decreasing satisfaction. I just purchased an Insteon starter kit. The hub installed fine, as did the iOS app. I have successfully installed the Insteon on/off modules and the X10 modules that are already throughout the house.
    All was fine until I started to program schedules for the modules. As soon as I program one module for a sunrise or sunset on/off time, I get the message that I can not program another module for the same time, and that I need to create a scene to control multiple modules at the same time.
    I created a new scene, but am unable to add any of the X10 modules as members. I have tried many variations of adding rooms, scenes, devices, etc. without any success. I also did not find anything of use in the on-line documentation or the forums. Can someone provide some assistance?

INSTEON signalling requires that signals sent to different device at the same time be sent as a single scene rather than a separate signal to each device. That way collisions are avoided. But, X10 devices do not have scene capability. A solution is to schedule the X10 signal to occur slightly later.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

That makes sense. But, the iOS app doesn't seem to have the capability to schedule at Sunset/Sunrise +/- a bit; the only options I have are: Time of Day, Sunrise, or Sunset. I'd like to link several X10 devices to Sunrise and/or Sunset. And I'm happy to have them all offset by a few minutes. Any suggestions how to do this?

Comment

HouseLinc or an ISY. Or send a request, Settings, About INSTEON App, Feedback.

BTW, an offset has been oft requested on this forum. Now if everyone asks...
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Message to feedback has been sent.
          I looked at HouseLinc. It is a PC application and I'm a Mac house... Can HouseLinc be set up to send a schedule set to the hub and then be turned off? I'd like not to be tied to a system that has to be up all the time--especially a Windows system...
          Thanks for the help!

Comment

HouseLinc can do that. An ISY is OS independent and does not require a computer to be on. You'll need to add X10 support. Access is via nearly any browser, but an app is needed for smartphone control.

Comment

I dragged out an old windows machine and installed HouseLinc. It sets up fine and I can program events as you suggested. All works well as long as the HouseLinc application is running and the machine has network connectivity.
              When I exit the application or disconnect the machine from the network, none of the events are executed. I've synchronized the house, as indicated in the HouseLinc manual.
              What did I miss?

Comment

You're not missing anything. The Windows computer must be powered on and using the Hub as a gateway for events to occur. An alternative is the use a PLM as an interface between the computer and the powerline.

BTW, if you are going to use both the Hub and HouseLinc, disable System Maintenance and do not use Synchronize House.

Comment

I gave up on this until there is the +/- minutes around sunrise/sunset implemented in the app. I've spent way too much time that I should have been using for other things... Thanks for the assist, Stu.

Comment

Working...
                  X