Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Local Properties" not appearing - just get a spinning wheel

Unfortunately the title says it all-
    When I try to edit any device, to change the on level or ramp rate, all I receive is a spinning wheel...never stops.
    Everything else in the setup seems to be working fine (I can control everything, etc...though I admit I am just getting started so may find more issues!).
    Any advice on how to be able to actually see the Local Properties? Thank you-

Update: While the wheel is spinning, I can actually select the local property. I can go in and edit the setting (say to save the ramp to 8 minutes), save, and then exit out (done, done). However, when I go to turn the light on, it hasn't saved the new ramp rate, and rather falls back to 0.1 (instant) on (though it looks more like 3.0 seconds to me, even stranger).
    Last edited by someinsteonquestions; 08-06-2014, 08:34 PM.

By spinning wheel you mean the indicators on the individual options (and not the one in the "Updating status, please wait")?

Are the options displayed under Local Properties correct for the device? Or does the list include things like Ramp Rate for an ApplianceLinc?

Has this setting work correctly in the past or are you just now adding devices?

Specifically, what are the devices exhibiting this behavior?

Comment

Correct - the indicators for the individual options.
      The options I believe are all correct (again, I'm just getting started though!). So for example, the 4 options I see are: On Level, Ramp Rate, Local Programming Lock and Blink on INSTEON Traffic.
      These have never shown anything in the past, so they always just spin. And it spins for all devices I have, which are a variety of switches for lights at the moment (and the 2 adapters that come with the starter kit).

Comment

I was actually able to occasionally replicate the behavior you described on a very old ApplianceLinc. I noticed that sometimes Local Properties would display options like Dim Level, (which are not supported on that device) briefly and then populate with the appropriate settings after a moment. Other times, the options would just spin. Once, after tapping an option to edit (even though it was spinning, as you described) returning to the main Edit view seemed to update the Local Properties section.

This feels like a communication issue to me - especially if it's happening with newer modules that were included in the kit. As a test, try plugging a module into the same duplex outlet at the Hub and see if that changes the behavior. If it works, then there are a few likely solutions:

• Try moving the location of the Hub around - usually central is best - and see if there is a 'sweet spot' that reaches all your modules.
        • Think about the where the modules are installed. If they are dual band, they will talk to each other over the powerline and RF. This creates a mesh network that helps improve signal level and communication. If you have one module that is far, far away from the others, consider placing one at a midpoint to help the signal reach the most distant device.
        • Consider adding more devices. Per the mesh network strategy above, the more modules you have (preferably dual band) the better. You can also add a range extender, but for the money, I like the idea of adding a module or two and getting the added automation functionality as well.

Even though the module are new, out of the box, it wouldn't hurt to do a Factory Reset on them. Maybe try that before anything else.

Comment

I've tried moving the hub around with no luck.
          I do actually have quite a few devices that are scattered across one someone big extended room (kind of like 3 rooms) - 2 of the dimmer devices that come with the basic kit, a 6-button switch, and 4 dimmable switches. So it seems as if there should be enough devices to cover this small area (at least I would hope!) - the devices are all located in different areas (so far I will have an areas of say 3 dimmable switches, and I swapped one out to be Insteon - I'm doing a test of whether this all even works before adding more....).
          So it sounds like maybe a factor reset is the one next to try (I've been avoiding that so I don't have to set everything up - I had someone else set it all up next time)...perhaps that isn't such a big deal, however-

Comment

FWIW I found the culprit - it was the hub. Tried everything I could think of, but ultimately what fixed the issue was replacing the hub. Now no more spinning wheel. Replacing the hub actually fixed a whole host of issues that I never would have thought originated with the hub...

Comment

Working...
            X