Unable to add LampLinc Dimmer in INSTEON app but adds fine in Houselinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to add LampLinc Dimmer in INSTEON app but adds fine in Houselinc

I purchased the starter kit 2244-224 which included the 2242-222 and 2 x dual-band 2457D2 Lamp-Linc Dimmers. I went through the process of configuring the 2242-222 via the Android app, configuring the 2242-222 with a static internal ip address and port forwarding. All went as planned.

App ver 1.6.2
    Android 4.4.2

When I attempt to add a 2457D2 using the android app via the sync button or manual address add it fails at Test 3 of 10 and I get the "try again", "add range extender" etc options.

I contacted customer support and their advice was to reset the hub which has only effectively done one thing.. change the ip address of the hub from a static address to a dynamic address.

Using the HouseLinc desktop app (2.10.25) Dev def (2.9.83) I'm able to add the Lamplinc devices, control, and test them etc without issue.

I've generated a log during the android app device add process using houselinc which can be viewed below.

Here's a corker... all my X-10 devices add/switch from Houselinc and the android app.

Questions:
    1. Any idea why the LampLincs wont add using the Android app?
    2. If I'm able to add the devices using houselinc why do they not appear as a device in the android app. Are the devices/scenes etc not stored centrally in the hub configuration?

Power line noise may be interfering with communications. What size and type of load is plugged into the modules?

Comment

The Hub is totally unaware of any links/scenes created by HouseLinc. The Hub also doesn't know about any devices added to HouseLinc. HouseLinc is only aware of a Hub device if it's also added to HouseLinc. And HouseLinc can see only the number of a Hub scene, not much more.

HouseLinc supplements the Hub, but they are basically separate INSTEON managers.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The load is an Ikea incandescent lamp with 3 x 25 watt bulbs.
        This raises two questions 1. I thought insteon devices used dual-band, mesh, networking topology to work around the PLC issues that plagued X-10. Are some insteon devices plc only? 2. Why can HouseLinc add the dimmer modules instantly but the Insteon for Hub android application fails to add the dimmers on both my Galaxy S3 and Nexus tablet in exactly the same way?

Comment

Actually, that 3 of 10 problem seems to be related to the firmware in the Hub. Contact tech support or follow the instructions here to fix it: http://support.insteon.com/customer/...es-through-app

Comment

TFitzpatri8, followed your CS link. Upgraded the hub and everything works perfectly. Thanks for the 4 star support!

Comment

I had this same problem. I wasted 2 hours before checking the forums and applying the new firmware. Maybe there should be something in the Hub App that warns the users that the Hub needs to be updated.

Comment

That would require updating for the warning
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                X