Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fail Connecting to hub

~~G'day,
    I had an Insteon Hub which was working fine.
    I occasionally connected to it with the Android app running on a Sony tablet, but also occasionally use it on a Windows tablet running an android driver.
    Both worked OK.
    One day I tried to access via the Windows tablet and it wouldn't let me in saying Fail Connecting to hub.
    I tried the Sony tablet and initially it got in.
    I retried the Windows tablet - same error.
    I retried the Sony tablet - now getting the error Fail Connecting to hub.
    After a couple of emails back and forth I eventually rang Insteon (I try not to as I'm in the UK and the call is to USA and therefore costly).
    They got me to reset the hub a few times and then told me they couldn't see it so it was either a problem with the hub or the router.
    The router appears to be fine so I swapped the hub.
    When I first connected the new hub I was able to access it and could use it to switch X10 devices on and off. I couldn't control Insteon devices - but didn't expect to as the hub ID is different.
    When I went back in to try and set up the devices in the new hub - I'm back to the error Fail Connecting to hub.
    I use HomeSeer software for most of my Home control. This has a software interface that interacts with the hub. This is working fine and can control Insteon devices via the hub.
    However in order to interface with the hub it needs the Username and password of the hub, not the Insteon account but the hub itself. When I did manage to first log on to the new hub I changed the username and password and thereafter HomeSeer could work with it.
    I am still unable to access via the Android client.
    I can log onto the web interface of the hub both on my LAN as well as externally. That demonstrates to me that the router is working and port forwarding is working.
    I have again emailed support (who take a long time to respond) and they suggest I ring the support number.
    I prefer not to, partly because of the cost, but also last time their solution was to reset the hub. When I did reset the hub it didn't solve the problem, but it did lose the hub username and password I had set.
    If I reset this hub I will lose the username and password and my HomeSeer system will not be able to interface with it. As the hub now generates random passwords I will be unable to access it to set a new username!
    Catch 22.
    Any suggestion on how I can get the Android client working again?

I think the Hub Cloud service and apps expect that, if you use them, they are in charge of assigning a secure user name and password to the Hub hardware. When you manually change them for use with HomeSeer, that probably breaks the latest generation Hub app/cloud service's automatic password system. Doesn't HomeSeer use its own mobile apps?

Comment

I find that odd as if you do manage to get into the hub there is the option to set your own. If that 'breaks' the service then why is it there?
      HomeSeer does have its own mobile access - but that doesn't give me access to the hub.

Comment

Working...
      X