No announcement yet.

Virtualization and OS recommendtions for HouseLinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up getting a 2242-222 ethernet-connected hub. in addition to a serial and a couple USB ones. I like the ethernet the most because I don't need a physical cable from my laptop to the hub.

I found I could install the HouseLincSetup.msi file on linux using PlayOnLinux, which is a re-packaging of Wine. Because it talks to the PLM over IP, it doesn't need a usb/serial interface, which was tricky with wine in the past. So I'm quite happy that I have a viable path to run HouseLinc again. Manually pairing devices is a no-go in a large house. It's ONLY resaonable with HouseLinc. Also worth noting, I had to tell PlayOnLinux to emulate the Windows Vista environment. I suspect Win7 would work as well as my vm for houselinc was running 7.

Once I had HouseLinc installed in Wine via PlayOnLinux, I was able to import an xml 'save' file from the windows VM directly into HouseLinc on Linux and it worked if a little crash prone when I was first configuring the GPS position. I ended up having to paste in the lat long from google maps because city lookup was causing it to crash for some reason!

Comment

I thought I'd bump this topic by asking if anyone is running HouseLinc on Windows 11? Please there's no need for reminders about the end of HL.

Comment

Originally posted by jackman View Post
        I thought I'd bump this topic by asking if anyone is running HouseLinc on Windows 11? Please there's no need for reminders about the end of HL.
        No, with a but ... I ran it on Server 2016, it ran 100% fine, and the APIs are the same - it would run just fine on Windows 11.

Comment

Originally posted by jackman View Post
          I thought I'd bump this topic by asking if anyone is running HouseLinc on Windows 11?
          Yes, I run HouseLinc 2.10.25 on a Windows 11 system.

I have found that the interface connection works most reliability if the USB cable is connected directly to the computer and less so when going through a USB hub. Also, on my PLM, the USB jack/cable connection seems a little loose after 10 years and the computer will sometimes lose the connection.

Comment

Working...
          X