Home Assistant- Moving Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Assistant- Moving Forward

Like many users during the server shutdown, I moved to Home Assistant, I know that the servers are back online.

I guess my question is...
    Is the new Insteon going to lockout my hub/setup if I don't pay for the sub?

What's the plan for users who don't want to use the Insteon app? Be it for other features thoes systems provide...i.e. with HA I can mix different IoT systems together.

Or will Insteon start their own "Walled Garden"?

Thanks for real, for the transparency is really refreshing to see a company think of its users not as numbers but the daily users of their products.

Again Thanks for everything, sorry for the tough question.

My understanding is that we will be able to use HomeAssistant with the hub as before.
    We will just lose Alexa and the Insteon app.
    I don’t use Alexa anymore because HomeAssistant give me Siri on iOS and Apple Watch.
    Insteon app was not that great anyway.
    I will miss my own app (ControlHub) but that’s a small price to pay.

Comment

Remains to be seen. I have been asking this question since day one. I could care less about Insteon Cloud. I use Nabu Casa. I do not need ... YAC (yet another Cloud).

My opinion is based on the many questions asked of Insteon with 100% absolutely no answer. Now granted ... I am one of the folks that created a dashboard for using Insteon when they were gone so perhaps the no response is for a reason. I have an entire Insteon Scene Manager on Github that allows you to manage things and test things without the Insteon cloud.

But things to keep in mind should be ...

1) AFAIK there is no way for you to modify the IP address of your Hub. It will be DHCP period. So you should reserve that IP in your router as dedicated to the hub otherwise it could change which would be "inconvenient" as you would need to change to a new IP address in Home Assistant. Many folks have suggested going farther and blocking access inside your home to the Insteon servers. That is your choice. It certainly would stop anything coming back to you to flash your hub.

2) The same thing applies to user name/ID and password. Thankfully that should be printed on your hub on the bottom in case something happens and you need to reset it to factory.

3) Forget about insteon "named" scenes and schedules, they are forever buried (at least the name is) but they all have a "group number". Home Assistant will come out with an ability for you to map scenes to names that you are used to. Schedules you would need to rebuild.

Unless, of course, the current Insteon people open up and allow these things to be configured WITHOUT their Cloud. As they should be.
      Last edited by kbrown01; 08-01-2022, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I don’t use Alexa anymore because HomeAssistant give me Siri on iOS and Apple Watch.
        Last edited by INSTEON John; 08-21-2023, 10:03 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

A commitment of appreciation is all together for sharing, I found a tremendous store of stimulating information here. A striking post, incredibly grateful and obliging that you will make on a very major level more posts like this one.
          Last edited by INSTEON John; 08-21-2023, 10:03 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

I am using the Universal-Devices ISY994I for years now. and have been using Universal-Devices for about 20 years now. It is a Local Server that has a wide variety of abilities for Home Automation. It is my understanding that they will be Matter Compliant with their new Device and will be caple of utilizing a very wide variety of devices. The only compatible HA that I know with this capability is HomeSeer. HomeAssistant was something that I considered but it is not mature at this time.

Comment

Hi. I paid the fee to subscribe to insteon. For me it was the simplest solution to get my system working again.
              my question is, can I also set up home assistant with insteon or is it one or the other? I'd like to use both because I want to do some automation in home assistant that's not available in Alexa.
              Thank you to anyone who knows and can answer.

Comment

I conducted a bisection by turning on integrations one at a time, and tplink was shown to be the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X