Using with Google mesh hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using with Google mesh hub

Just installed Google nest system and connected to my Insteon account through Google home. Now I cannot control anything... does my Insteon hub still need to be connected?? The Google nest modem/hub only has one Ethernet connect so that doesn’t seem possible.

if you have a solution, let me know.
    Last edited by PilotMonkey; 12-25-2020, 08:03 AM.

I think you need to give us some more information. Yes, the Insteon Hub does need to be hardwired to the network. I assume you are talking about installing a new Google wi-fi system? Do you have generation one (Google Wi-Fi), or gen two (Nest Wi-fi). In either case, the main router has 2 ethernet ports. One for the incoming signal and one for output. If your insteon Hub is the only other device you hardwire on your network, you can plug it into the other port. If you need more hardwired, network connections, you'll need to add some type of switch to get additional ports.

Comment

I have the Nest System, and the hub router only has one Ethernet port. What type is switch can be added?

Comment

Assuming you are saying you have this system [url]https://store.google.com/product/nest_wifi_specs[/url]

If so, and you are only seeing one ethernet port, then that is NOT the router base. The base has two. (see specs above). So you appear to be looking at the WiFi point, not the base/router. If your network is functioning correctly, then you must have the router base installed somewhere else.

In any case, again assuming the access point is functioning correctly, you can plug your Hub into that ethernet port and it should work. Alternatively you can plug in a network switch which would then give you multiple ports to use. A search using "network switch" will show you hundreds of them. Forgive me in advance if I am wrong as no insult is intended. But I sense that you may need help if you need to add a switch to your network. Perhaps find a friend who can help you with the installation and setup of your network?

Comment

You’ve been very helpful this far. Trying to solve this again... I snapped a picture of the router base, and there is only one Ethernet connection point, so thinking I need to replace that, correct?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I figured it out! 🤣

Comment

Working...
            X