Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues and more Issues - hardware or software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues and more Issues - hardware or software?

After about 3 hours on July 3rd I was able to add the Hub Pro to the app by following the directions posted here. I have not been able to add a single device yet but even if I was able, I notice the hub goes into not found gray out mode every time I come back home to my WiFi. I assume if I work through the bugs and add devices, this would just cause it all to not work anyway. I expected Beta but not pre-alpha. That being said. What is the general feeling on this hub, will it get better through software updates to the app and firmware updates to the hub or is it better to just return it and wait for possible hub revisions? I am currently using Indigo software on my mac and it has been solid for years. The hub interested me because it does not require a computer, siri integration, apple watch integration and homekit.

Originally posted by outlanderbz View Post
    After about 3 hours on July 3rd I was able to add the Hub Pro to the app by following the directions posted here. I have not been able to add a single device yet but even if I was able, I notice the hub goes into not found gray out mode every time I come back home to my WiFi. I assume if I work through the bugs and add devices, this would just cause it all to not work anyway. I expected Beta but not pre-alpha. That being said. What is the general feeling on this hub, will it get better through software updates to the app and firmware updates to the hub or is it better to just return it and wait for possible hub revisions? I am currently using Indigo software on my mac and it has been solid for years. The hub interested me because it does not require a computer, siri integration, apple watch integration and homekit.
    ​Thank you for your feedback. Insteon is continually working to improve functionality and user experience. You can expect an update very soon addressing the issues some of our users are experiencing.

Comment

Outlander...I can appreciate your frustration. I am on my second Hub Pro : I have insteon switches in my home that were connected to a PLM and ISY. I have performed every interation of pairing devices to the hub. Best I was able to do is pair 5 devices and set the up into rooms and rooms into zones. I did have to factory reset every wall switch and lamp dimmer(make sure to do this before starting process).
      Now that I am able to work with devices, SIRI will only understand and activate soe of the devices and zones and rooms.....YEAH...not so much......Insteon I can appreciate the update coming soon to address these issues. But if Apple needs to assist in this, LET US KNOW.....I will gladly call in and great multiple cases to get them on this. They are the ones that created home kit and are touting it to be magical!

Comment

Interesting point about resetting the devices. I do not want to do that because I have Indigo software running to control my house now. If I knew the hub would work I would try it. Also, that being said, how would I reset the LED bulbs anyway?

Well, new update today and same results. I can add the hub but first attempt to link it to a device ends up making the hub gray out and go offline until a factory restart. The device I try to link turns off but that's it. What a mess.

Comment

I just heard from a reader over at our blog that smarthome.com has "temporarily postponed shipping of Hub Pro units as [they] are currently working with Apple to resolve several technical issues with the environment." So...at least someone's on it....

Comment

Originally posted by rgunther View Post
            I just heard from a reader over at our blog that smarthome.com has "temporarily postponed shipping of Hub Pro units as [they] are currently working with Apple to resolve several technical issues with the environment." So...at least someone's on it....
            That is good to hear because currently it is a mess. I think I am going to keep it around and just wait to see how it all shakes out. I assume if it ends up being a replacement, smarthome will take care of us.

Also, the fact that there was not any mention of Homekit at WWDC kind of worried me that they are behind and having issues with it as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by outlanderbz View Post
              ...not any mention of Homekit at WWDC kind of worried me that they are behind and having issues with it as a whole.
              Well...that's not really true. They did talk about (much needed) improvements to HomeKit in iOS 9 and even showed the Insteon watch app later in the presentation. But yeah...seems like they're lagging a bit for sure.

static1.squarespace.jpg

Comment

Well...that's not really true. They did talk about (much needed) improvements to HomeKit in iOS 9 and even showed the Insteon watch app later in the presentation. But yeah...seems like they're lagging a bit for sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n69783[/ATTACH]
                I forgot about that part but I was more talking about no mention of an Apple app dedicated to homekit, the rumored "Home" app much like they have the Health app. Like you said, lagging for sure, you would have thought they would have talked more about that if homekit was going as planned. Spent time talking about "news" though . Oh well, we will see. I have a working Insteon system with Indigo right now so I am going to hold onto the hub and see how it all goes. I like being an early adopter but this just feels really early! hah.

Comment

Outlanderbz, have you shared your experiences with Indigo anywhere? I interviewed them over a year ago, but I've never had a chance to hear from an actual user. I like what they're doing, though I haven't tried it myself.

Comment

Outlanderbz, have you shared your experiences with Indigo anywhere? I interviewed them over a year ago, but I've never had a chance to hear from an actual user. I like what they're doing, though I haven't tried it myself.
                    I have not, I have used their product for probably 6 years, maybe more. Has always worked well with great support.

I found this article today which I thought was interesting. I know when I add the hub to homekit it gives me the non certified error. Really thinking about returning now and wait for this to all play out. http://www.businessinsider.com/why-t...ailable-2015-7

Comment

If you had problems with the hub pro, try the firmware update released today. While it is still not perfect, it is definitely an improvement and at least for me it is now worth playing with it.

Comment

I've been trying to do the firmware update since last night... has anyone else received a pop up "An Error Occurred, Unknown Error (~999)"? I'm not happy with this product it is unusable for a set-up that already had an extensive list of insteon products installed. I still have to keep my old hub running to keep limited functionality of the products (as it sounds like others are doing with running third party controllers).
                        iPhone 5S and iPad Air2 - iOS 9.3
                        Surfboard SB6141/Airport Extreme, Time Warner Cable
                        22 INSTEON

Comment

Hey NeilMiller

I had the same issue on my first attempt last night. During the first time, I let the update run with the app open for a few minutes and then got the same pop-up error. What worked for me on the second attempt is I selected to run the update again and closed out of the app. A few minutes later, I re-opened the app and verified that the update had indeed gone through.

I'm hoping this firmware update will improve performance. I've noticed gradual improvements in performance from the Hub Pro even before this update as I've slowly connected more Insteon devices. I still have issues with remote access and scenes not always working as directed (some lights will come on at the previous setting instead of the scene-defined setting). I'm hoping the next Insteon+ update will add more devices, like the smoke bridge and I/O (especially since these are dual banded). I'm also hoping the app is better able to detect when a device has been turned on manually, and not through the app.

Comment

Originally posted by KCF View Post
                            If you had problems with the hub pro, try the firmware update released today. While it is still not perfect, it is definitely an improvement and at least for me it is now worth playing with it.
                            good info, All I am really wanting is something that is worth playing with, heh. Like I mentioned, I dont mind beta testing but this was alpha in my mind. I havent returned it yet so I will give this a go. I still havent been able to control one single light yet!

Comment

My Smarthub currently sits in my closet doing nothing. The blue light is quite lovely, but it simply doesnt work.

Usually I can get the hub to be recognized when I do a factory reset. Then as soon as I try to add an Insteon device, problems start and then the Hub is grayed out in the app, and no other devices are found.

I am also running the latest firmware, which is 5.0.5 I believe.

This product needs a lot of work and I feel like my loyalty to Insteon is waning...

Comment

Working...
                              X