Set a static IP on Hub 2245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set a static IP on Hub 2245

My network security requires that each device has a static IP for the Router to allow Internet acess. What appears to be happening is that each times there is a power failure or an IP lease expiry, the Hub does a DHCP request, and a new one is generated, but there is no Internet, so the access light is red and of course the hub is not working.

Normally it is a simple process to log into a device and set a static ip. However I see no way to log into the Hub. I contacted support and they were convinced that I needed to set the static IP in the router, but that does not prevent the Hub from doing a DHCP request.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a static IP for a 2245 Hub. The Hub doesn't change the address after an outage. but that's because I [I]reserved[/I] the address in the router. Is that the procedure you're referring to when you mention setting a [I]static[/I] address in the router?

BTW, you should not forward a port for the Hub.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks [USER="33"]stusviews[/USER] for your quick response the concept of a static IP only in the router is foreign to me. I have many devices on the network - phones, tablets, security systems, music players, etc. On each of those devices I set the IP that I want it to use on the network, and allow a DHCP only on the guest network. I do not see any way to log into the Hub to set the IP. That is the DHCP reserved space is only a subset of the available 254 IPS and all the other devices are outside the DHCP range.

What at is happening is that because it does not address the router with a specific ip, but instead seems to do a DHCP request, it is pushed onto the guest network, which has no internet access unless I specifically give the device an ip. So on the router I have set aside the ip ...49 for the hub, but on a reboot it asks the router for a new ip, which is not in the range of usable external IPS. Would seem to make sense that the Hub has a small web interface th set the ip, just like the routers and other devices.

I do not have any port forwarding set for this ip.

on your set up are you doin MAC address filtering to point your Hub to a specific ip?

Comment

I agree with stusview about RESERVING the ip address that you want the 245 to use inside your router's setup. You can reserve the address for your 245 there. Even if the 245 asks for a new address it will be given the one you have reserved. I do this with my cameras all the time. Work very well.

Comment

Working...
        X