Limitations of the hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limitations of the hub

I finally bit the bullet and started a conversion program to go from X-!0 to Insteon. I'm now beginning to wonder if it was a smart move or not because of the limitations of the hub. I admit I was spoiled by my extended installation which used an ocelot controller so I had a lot of flexibility for controls. I had a light level detector that could turn on different lights at different outside light levels and Helsel had the capability to turn on and off devices at a set time before or after sunrise or sunset. I also had the ability to very times randomly to make the home look more lived in when we were home.

Compared to that functionality the Hub has next to nothing for capabilities. Yes I can go buy a ISY controller but it seems like that's actually overkill and goes the other way. I would think at the very least the hub should be able to have multiple on and off times programmed into a device.

Am I missing anything or is the hub really this limited?
    Last edited by Msradell; 02-01-2017, 07:03 PM.

The Hub is a really low cost entry level Insteon manager. It's adequate for many who just want smartphone control. Adding the improvement you and others have requested would significantly increase the price.

If you need/want greater capability, then you'll have to spend quite a bit more. There is no intermediate Insteon manager available.

IMO, you'll be extremely happy with the ISY. You'll be able to accomplish way beyond what you've ever done before.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n92432]The Hub is a really low cost entry level Insteon manager. It's adequate for many who just want smartphone control. Adding the improvement you and others have requested would significantly increase the price.

If you need/want greater capability, then you'll have to spend quite a bit more. There is no intermediate Insteon manager available.

IMO, you'll be extremely happy with the ISY. You'll be able to accomplish way beyond what you've ever done before.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply, I don't see why it would cost much if any more to give more capabilities. It certainly not a hardware issue, it's just software. The device can already send and receive Insteon signals. It just needs possibly some more memory and a better program.

I'm already looking at the ISY to gain some more capabilities. I had been using in Ocelot controller with my X-10 system and really liked its capabilities.

Comment

It is more than just software, more memory is required to accommodate those changes and also a more sophisticated processor (CPU). Have you ever written code?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

You may consider downloading and creating an account with Stringify. I understand this cloud hosted service is like IFTTT which allows basic to some advanced conditional logic.

Going this route may offer some of the conditional logic you seek.

Keeping in mind instead of having one cloud dependent device in your home. You have another cloud hosted service which relies on the primary cloud hosted controller to be on line and accessible. This is why tens of thousands of true home automation enthusiasts have purchased the ISY Series Controller.

Because it offers a *Local First* topology and can use almost any other cloud hosted service(s) to extend its compatibility and integration such as IFTTT, Amazon Echo, etc.
          Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
          X