Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a new home and looking to automate - help wanted :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a new home and looking to automate - help wanted :)

Hello all!

I'm looking to add some home automation to my new house. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control through an Amazon Echo and both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. Things I'd like to control include:[LIST][*]Home theater controlled with Logitech Harmony that includes an Amazon FireTV with Netflix, Plex, and Kodi[*]Dimmable recessed lighting in the kitchen, living room[*]Wall-switch controlled lights in the bathrooms[*]Chandeliers in the foyer, dining room, kitchen[*]Ceiling fans with lights in each bedroom[*]Baby monitors with audio and video (suggestions welcome!)[*]2 Garage door openers[*]August smartlock[*]Nest thermostat[*]Remote thermostats that work with Nest (Suggestions welome)[*]Nest protects[*]Some kind of home security video system - maybe Canary? (suggestions welcome)[*]Water sensors under hot water heater, laundry room, sinks, toilets, etc.[*]Door, motion and glass break sensors[/LIST]My questions include:[LIST][*]Should I install smart wall outlets or install controllers directly into the ceiling fans? Or both?[*]What are the best wall switches to install?[*]If I go with Insteon, would I need both the regular hub and a homekit enabled hub if I want everything to work through both my iPhone and an Amazon Echo? Can I use both?[*]Are there geofencing options that work with multiple people, or are they restricted to one person?[/LIST]Furthermore, I'd like to setup Alexa (or Siri for that matter) to understand the following commands if possible:[LIST][*]Turn on lights in a specific room[*]Turn dimmer controlled light to specific values[*]Turn on/change fan speed or light value on ceiling fans[*]Turn on the home theater and start specific movies or the next unwatched episode of television shows in either Netflix, Kodi, or Plex[*]Turn on the home theater and tune the cable to a specific channel[*]Increase/decrease temperature in the house[/LIST]I'd also like the ability to setup specific triggered events, such as:[LIST][*]Send notifications to me and my wife in the event of a sensor trigger as well as trigger the Canary's siren when no one is home or we're asleep[*]Turn on some lights when the first person gets home after work when the garage door opens[*]Turn on the porch lights at sunset and turn off at dawn[*]Program vacation settings for lights/ home theater/ etc. so that it looks like we're home[*]Send a reminder if the garage door has been left open[*]Turn on bathroom lights at a specific dim level if motion is detected at night (rather than full brightness)[*]Turn on the ceiling fans if the room reaches a certain temperature before turning up the air conditioner[*]Turn on lights in closets whenever door is opened, automatically turned off after 10 minutes if left open and no motion detected[/LIST]I'd like to setup any required hubs in the basement on a server rack that will also include my modem, Synology server, and a network patch panel with ethernet leading to each room in the house.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The Insteon Hub is an entry level device that do a lot of, but not all of what you want. But, if you're new to HA, it's not a bad starting point at a low cost. An ISY with the portal for Echo voice control and MobiLinc for smartphone access may be what you eventually decide on. But the initial investment is considerable more than the Hub.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

With your list a pro. For the most part, to achieve your desired results, you will need an ISY although it is not home kit compatible.

There is no all in one solution that will accomplish your list. I would recommend starting slowly with the basics and build from there. To attempt this with no knowledge of setting everything up will overwhelm you quickly. Focus on the easy stuff like lights and fans. As you learn how to program then you can start expanding into the more difficult things such as cameras and AV stuff in order to integrate with your system.

Comment

While building a new home there many things people did at their house, but automation now days is done by everyone. There are many things like amazon echo, automatic lights, fans, etc. Automatic electric appliances also save lots of energy. People also fit indoor heater which is also very important nowadays in automatic houses. These are some things I know you can implement at your house.

Here I have researched some best heaters you may check for your new house:- [URL]https://propaneheater.review/[/URL]
        Last edited by Richard3; 04-17-2020, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X