Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously, try to convince me not to jump to WeMo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, try to convince me not to jump to WeMo?

As you can see from below, originally had remote issues connecting to switches, but cameras worked. Then my sunset/sunrise schedule for outdoors lights did not work. Then for two days everything worked fine. Now this morning, remotely, the cameras are not coming through but switches are, so reverse of 3 days ago.

This was supposed to simplify my life, not make me a damn IT person for my house.

I am going to buy a couple WeMo switches and see how they and their app work. Any reason not to?

Damn, like 10 years ago I ran through the same angst with X10, where sometimes switches would flip, sometimes not, etc. Doesn't look much different to me right now. An exercise in frustration.

UPDATE:

Turns out that my Voip adapter box, which was supposed to let all ports through to my router because it was DMZ'ed, actually was not. I have reconfigured the setup and removed the Voip adapter from its in-line placement to a simple port connection on the router and all seems to be good right now.

This did, however, make me look more at WeMo (actually bought a switch to test) and I do have to say the overall level of software control seems much more in line with what I was looking for. For example, to schedule "away" lights, you can set a time range, say 8PM to 12AM and add lights to the away schedule which will randonly turn them on or off during that period in minimum 1/2 hour increments. THAT is a very cool feature, and would have swayed me to WeMo had I known.

Now with 2 cameras, 8 switches, 2 plug in modules and a door sensor, I am at least currently married to Insteon and will have to work within making schedules and such for away timers.

[B]The only thing I do not know is Insteon's aggressiveness on updating apps to add features like this. Hopefully they keep up with their competition.[/B]

Comment

Although considerably more costly, an ISY is probably the most powerful Insteon manager.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Agreed from what I read. I may consider that sometime in the future.

Comment

Wemo is fine for basic stuff. However Insteon would be a better fit for more complex installs

Comment

Also agreed. I bought a Wemo light switch and installed it and the app today, just to check it out. Very easy to see I made the better choice with Insteon.

Comment

Working...
            X