Insteon network setup issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon network setup issues

Mainly sharing...... When I got the hub, I also got a 2-Wire Paddle Switch (Dimmable) because the Einstein that wired my pool light did not run a neutral wire. After the install I could not connect to either of my hubs (Hub Pro (HomeKit) or the 2245-222 Hub). After several tries, I finally decided to try to link the switch to the Insteon Outdoor Plug I just got and I was able to successfully control the plug. Just for fun, I decided to try to connect to the hubs and I was able to connect to the 2245-222 hub. But, the connection is weak, sometimes it works fine and sometimes I get a yellow light in the Insteon app. The 2 wire switch is RF only and it is outside on the furthest corner of my house from the hubs. Will adding other dual band devices help my poor connection or do I need to by a range extender. BTW, I still cannot connect it to the Hub pro (HomeKit). Thoughts, Suggestions?
    Last edited by Jakenner; 04-19-2016, 07:26 PM.

The person who wired you pool light probably did what was considered standard wiring at the time. The US alone has millions* of switch boxes that do not have a neutral. There are several Insteon solutions for that.

It's not unusual that one, two or even three Insteon devices can't communicate. Although not common, there's a few causes and even more solutions. The solutions first:

Adding any dual-band Insteon device, including a Range Extender, will improve communication as well as range. As a test, plug a Hub in near the 2-wire switch. If that helps, then so will adding more dual-band devices.

Communication difficulties include devices that create power line noise, most notably wall warts, computer power supplies and some TVs. Other devices attempt to clean the power line such as UPSs and line conditioners. In doing so, they also clean the power line of HA signals. A FilterLinc is the cure in both cases.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

After adding two dual band dimmers, I am getting better response from the 2-wire. Sometimes I have to turn on or off the device a couple times but it's still better that before. It may be my imagination but it also seems to get better over time.

Comment

Working...
      X