Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Insteon Design for Low Voltage landscape lighting

Hi all,
    I'm new to the Insteon product line as it was recently pointed out to me by someone as a possible solution for this. We're in the process of installing a large outdoor patio area, fire pit, etc. with several landscape lighting zones and I'm trying to come up with the best way of controlling it.

The low-voltage transformer is going to be located at the side of our house next to the electrical meter and our panel is just inside from that so our electrician could easily add a circuit to the panel and an outdoor GFCI outlet where the transformer will be located. I would like to be able to switch it however from the switch panel where our existing outdoor lights are switched and we currently use a Honeywell Econoswitch RPLS740B timer switch and I'd like to use the same switch to control the low-voltage lighting, if possible. I'm just having a difficult time piecing together the various pieces I need to make this all work. Do I need a hub?

As a bonus, does Insteon have an inline 12V switch? It would be great if I could control each lighting zone independently (and remotely) rather than just a single master switch.

Thanks for your help.

I used to use a couple of those timer switches and I replaced them with Insteon on/off switches and the hub. It so much nicer to be able to control the schedule in the app than having to program it at the switch. To answer your question do you need the hub - if you want to manage schedules or control from remote app you do. (There are 3rd party hubs and software but the Insteon hub is really easy and cheap).

I have 3 zones, 2 are hardwired with the Insteon on/off wall switches before the transformer and the other is a plug-in transformer that I control with the Outdoor On/Off Module... all 3 are part of the same scene set to come on at sundown and turn off at 1am.

I recommend using a separate transformer for each zone, or use a large transformer that is wired for multiple zones.

Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
    Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
    53 Insteon devices

Comment

You can use any On/Off Insteon device to control the transformer or an I/O Linc to control low voltage up to 30V.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Hey thanks Kenrok!
        That makes sense to ditch the honeywell switches and just use the hub. You're right, better all around plus you get smartphone control as well. For the outdoor on/off module, you are talking about this right...? [url]http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2634-222-on-off-outdoor-module-dual-band.html[/url]

Our lighting is all LED so the load per the current design is only around 100 watts and we have a 300W single-zone transformer. Having a few things broken out on multiple zones was more about the coolness factor than any real necessity so I don't think I'll add another transformer, at least for now. That would be a great device though, basically a row of 12-volt in-outs, each switchable via the app or a mult-button wall switch/remote.
        Last edited by bhh; 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• kenrok1
          kenrok1 commented
          Editing a comment
          yep that is the one
      Working...
      X