Load controller not being recognized.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load controller not being recognized.

I received my first order from Insteon last Thursday and I have learned a lot since.

My plan is to work toward some home automation and because my family are apple freaks, we chose the Insteon Hub pro.

My first project is to automate my pool. So based on the smart home website, I ordered a toggle switch to control the light and a load controller to control my pump (2477SA1). The switch works perfectly and was recognized by the hub immediately. The load controller seems to connect when I try to add it by never shows up on the Insteon+ app.

I tried adding using the code. And I tried adding using the manual setup.

Using the device code, I seemed to get a confirmation double beep indicating success but the app timed out.

Manually, I started at the hub and pressed setup until the light blinked and then to the load controller and got a successful double beep.
    Then I pressed setup again on the load controller and then to the hub and got a successful double beep and the hub returned to the blue light. But the load controller never showed up on my app. I tried power cycling the hub and completely restarting my iPhone. I even tried to restore the load controller to factory defaults and repeated the setup with the same results. Insteon support has been called and they said they will try to replicate my situation and call me back today - has of now they have not called back.

Any suggestions.

Jeff

The Insteon Load controller is not on the list of Hub Pro supported devices: [url]http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2015/5/26/supported-insteon-devices-with-insteon[/url]
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Wow! I hope that is no longer true. I bought this based on a recommendation from the smart home website. Also the product page references that is able
      To use the Insteon hub pro for HomeKit. Hopefully, I will hear from support tomorrow. I still have time to return the item if necessary. I wonder if anyone else is using Insteon for pool automation.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It's fairly common for the Load Controller to be used for pool automation. I haven't heard either way about Hub Pro users and don't have Load Controller to test. There is an alternative if support can't help.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing any other ideas you might have. I was thinking about getting more devices added to the Insteon network to make it more robust and maybe it will link but that could be pricy. Or trying to link to the switch or something. But I am really new at this and I am just getting my head around how this all works.

Comment

[url]http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2635-222-on-off-module.html[/url] plus [url]http://www.smarthome.com/elk-heavy-duty-relay-contactor-in-a-lockable-metal-structured-wiring-panel-enclosure.html[/url]

Comment

Ok, I see where you are going with this. The Elk is a 220 controller that is powered with 110vac. I could then plug that into the Insteon Hub Pro compatible on/off module. I was already looking at the outdoor on/off module to control my landscaping lights. This could be done very easily. Thanks for the help. Now hopefully Insteon will call me back..... I have a case number - I'll probably just call them back tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately it could be communication issues preventing the load controller from talking to the hub. With only 2 devices you don't have much on repeating. I would recommend getting a couple of dual band devices to add. While it adds cost, doing it properly can save a lot of grief in the long run.

In the short term, I would try linking the switch directly to the load controller. If it doesn't link, that could be an indicator of communication problems. You can always unlink the switch from the controller later.

Comment

Thanks. As I have reading more about the way Insteon works, I began to realize that adding more could help. Now I am counting my coins found in the couch cushions to scrape up the money to buy more devices. (They don't pay teachers that much in Texas). I considered trying to connect to the switch but haven't tried yet.

Comment

Looks like Insteon support decided that the 220v Load controller is not supported by the Insteon Hub Pro after all. Now, I have to decide whether I want to return the item and go the ELK method that was suggested or buy the 2245 hub. (I can either replace the pro or run them concurrently). Any thoughts, suggestions or otherwise.

Comment

You can run the 2243 and 2245 Hubs concurrently. The main advantage that the Hub Pro has is that you can use Siri. For some, that's indispensable.

Comment

Working...
                      X