Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Questions - New to insteon

Hi,

I'm almost decided on insteon products. I have a few questions before i finally decide. hope someone can answer them:

1: Can I use Just insteon wall keypad switched to control lights and devices without Dimmer module switches?
    2. Do Insteon Products support 220v AC? this is very important !!

Will post questions as I do more research on the same.

Thanking you
    Regards
    Ashwin Gowda

1. The keypad can not control lights if they are not also connected to an Insteon On/Off or Dimmer type module. The main keypad On/Off buttons can locally control a load connected to its output.
    The rest of the buttons can only control other Insteon Modules linked to it.

2. Most of the new models do. Some of the older designed ones do not. You can find the power specifications on each modules sales page.
    Exactly what is your power 220v AC, 50 or 60 cycles? Where are you trying to use these modules? The Dual Band universal AC power models used here in the USA. Maybe using a different Insteon RF frequency than the one allowed in your country.

Comment

I'm new too and got the Hub + a dimmer to start with. The foyer in my house currently has a dimmer light switch and then another regular switch on the way. If I am reading the above correctly it sounds like this to me

​1. The keypad doesn't have any dimming functionality? (If so, that's pretty dumb, but whatever)
      2. For me to still having dimming on this light and allow scenes so when i come home I press scene 1 and my foyer, hallway, and kitchen lights, I need to do the following;
      - Replace the normal switch with a keypad
      - Replace the dimming switch with a dimmer
      - Then i'm limited to not be able to have dimming on the keypad switch UNLESS I set scene 2 or something to be dim foyer at 25%

Am I right in that thinking? But I would for sure need a dimmer on one of the two switches to have this capability? Thank you

Comment

The Keypad is available as a dimmer OR as an On/Off switch. Which you choose depends on the load you want to control, dimmable or not dimmable.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks stusviews, I totally was wrong then and you just simplified my life :)

Comment

Working...
          X