Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions not in FAQ

Hi all,

New to Insteon, long time X10 user. I have been using Insteon for a few months mixed with X10 devices and had a few questions. I am using just the Insteon hub from the starter kit with the devices, although I have an ISY in the closet that I haven't even unboxed yet.

1. I have a 2466 switch that seemed to want to control a 2477 switch, so could swear I decoupled them, but somehow it seems after a few weeks the 2466 again is controlling the 2477. Ever heard of this kind of regression? Is this what local programming lock is for, maybe an X10 command on my network or a setting in the Android app caused the programming to get reset? Are there any issues generally if my network is issuing X10 commands as well as Insteon, or any issue with some Insteon devices having X10 addresses but others not having them?

2. What is the difference in a scene between "responder" and "both"? I assume the hub is the controller and the devices in the scene are responders? I set my 2477 switch as controller in my "Sunset" scene, but it doesn't turn on, even though I noticed when the scene has run, the state of the 2477 does control all other devices in the scene. So from this can I conclude that making it a controller in a scene means only that the switch position controls the other devices? If so, for how long is that in effect? Till the controller receives the next command or until the next scene runs?

3. Is there any way with the hub to set offsets on a scene, so that it starts 30 minutes before or after sunset, or are we getting into ISY functionality with that?

4. Why the heck would Insteon discontinue the 2466? I have a lot of switches too small to accommodate a 2477, and the mini-controller is still too big to fit some of my switch boxes.

5. Is there any way to get to (or ahem--hack) hub functionality that isn't exposed in the smartphone app? I tried the server, which still calls itself a beta, but that doesn't seem to do anything that the app doesn't.

TIA,

Bob

1. How did you "decouple" the 2466 and 2477?" The usual procedure is to remove the offending device from the Hub, factory reset that device and add it back.

2. A controller can send an on/off/brighten/dim signal to another Insteon device. A controller ignores signals that it receives. A responder can be turned on/off/brightened/dimmed by a controller, but it cannot send a signal to another device. "Both" means that the device has the capabilities of both a controller and a responder.

3. The Hub does not have the capability to offset a time. The ISY does.

4. The ToggleLinc is not discontinued and it's actually deeper than a SwitchLinc.

5. If the app didn't see the Hub, what would you use the app for?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't remove the device from the hub and factory reset it, so I'll try that, thanks.

For the ToggleLinc, I was referring not having room/not wanting a decora in a switchplate with regular width switches, in other words, I wanted to do a straight up swap of one switch in a standard triple gang switch. I don't know why I had the idea that it was discontinued, but good to hear it isn't.

I was wondering if there is an interface to the hub other than the smartphone app that might let me do things like my question 3, but if the hub can't do that anyway, never mind. I guess I'll have to break out the ISY.

Comment

[QUOTE=rlando;n79731]Thanks for the replies.
        I guess I'll have to break out the ISY.
        [/QUOTE]

You'll be glad you did after a small learning curve. There's lots of help at the UDI forum ;)
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X