Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatible residential UPS

hey guys..
    i live in a country were we have constant power outage constantly and we everyone subscribes to a backup generator.
    all my insteon devices will arrive soon from USA like around 30 modules to automate my whole apartment. ( lights, shades)
    i would like to add a UPS to my lights and TV and all the sensitive equipment (not the heavy loads).
    so naturally that mean 70% of the modules would be on the UPS..
    any specific kind of UPS recommended cz i was thinking of getting ((PCE signwave UPS))..
    any thoughts?

Which country? The voltage and frequency are very important, especially the frequency.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Most UPS units. Have an AC Power Input filter and surge suppressor circuit. That could kill the Insteon Power Line signals as noise.

Comment

[QUOTE=BLH;n79563]Most UPS units. Have an AC Power Input filter and surge suppressor circuit. That could kill the Insteon Power Line signals as noise.
        [/QUOTE]

well thats what i would like to know.. should i get the a cheap ups that lacks an input filter or a th really expensive signwave ??
        because without the ups half the electronics in the ouse will be fried by 2 months..

Comment

Insteon power line signals need a clean 60 or 50 {for some universal power modules} Cycle Sinewave. For timing the start of the signal. A dirty, distorted or frequency not close to 50 or 60 cycles may effect their being sent.
          As far as I have seen even the low end stepped sinewave UPS units have some AC filtering on them.

What are you going to be using for your Insteon controller? As the Dual Band Insteon RF frequency depends on what region the device was designed for. If you start mixing US and other area of the world Dual Band modules. They may not communicate by RF only power lines.

Comment

well i was careful to choose all US versions of the module so over 915 frequency.. and i am planning to get a true signwave UPS.

Comment

I am glad you noticed the different RF frequencies and made sure all of them where for the same frequency. Some other users didn't catch the differences.
              True Sinewave UPS would be the best bet. As it should have a clean output and hopefully be close to the 50 cycles you have in your country.

Looks like you are starting a very involved project.
              I will be interested in your progress, as I have not seen too many overseas users progress reports.

Comment

to be honest.. i previously ordered overseas a couple of models of eBay. not very honest sellers.. some sent refurbs and stated as brand new.. and i made a mistake thinking i would save some money on the starter kits. 6 modules of the kits and 2 hubs (that came with the kits) are 110/60 .. so it can't be used in my country.. i learned my 400$ lesson .. and now after extensive research and time.. i will be purchasing directly from smart home and NO MORE KITS.. hehe.. i will be automating all my shades (7 micro modules open/close) and 70% of my lights. my boiler, double bolted with electric strike door lock, in addition to seasors. all hooked up to the signwave UPS so will never be off power.

Comment

Although unlikely, if you are caught, then you could be fined and have to remove all of your Insteon devices if you are using an RF frequency not approved for your country. By powering Insteon devices with a UPS, you will lose the dual-band capability. and have to rely on RF only. RF is considerable less reliable than power line communication. Also, be careful in what you are seeking in a UPS, the correct term is [I]sine wave[/I], nor signwave.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n79598]Although unlikely, if you are caught, then you could be fined and have to remove all of your Insteon devices if you are using an RF frequency not approved for your country. By powering Insteon devices with a UPS, you will lose the dual-band capability. and have to rely on RF only. RF is considerable less reliable than power line communication. Also, be careful in what you are seeking in a UPS, the correct term is [I]sine wave[/I], nor signwave.[/QUOTE]

first.. thank you about the UPS.. so u think even with a sine wave i will loose power line communication?
                    second.. my country's parliament is a flaming hot mess.. i doubt they even have the equipment to scan for the frequencies i am using at home so could fine.. they wouldn't care less..
                    the last friend who brought me a couple of micro modules.. they made him open the boxes at the airport by customers because they thought they were remote controller for explosives.. even after he explained they just told me we don't care but u cannot take them with boxes.. LOL..
                    ill post again what will happen on the next shipment..

Comment

Could work the other way around.
                      If you country licenses 915MHz for other equipment use. That equipment may step all over your Insteon RF signals.

Comment

[QUOTE=BLH;n79604]Could work the other way around.
                        If you country licenses 915MHz for other equipment use. That equipment may step all over your Insteon RF signals.
                        [/QUOTE]

the only thing i could think of is the gsm network still working over EDGE.. which operates over 850/900 hz but doubt that will be a problem.. since u don't have that problem in US so i guess its ok in lebanon too

Comment

GSM in the US is not at or near the Insteon frequency (915 MHz). In the US and Canada GSM is at 850/1900 Mhz. We do have Insteon difficulties with device operating near 900 MHz, such as baby monitors.

Comment

Inverter technology ensures its power is closer to "line power" more than any other generator design. Our inverter generators produce power that is as reliable as the power you get from your outlets at home.
                            inverter review

Comment

Working...
                            X