Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Thermostat

Hi,

i just purchased a wireless thermostat to monitor humidity and temperature. Can anyone let me know if this is possible with out a wired thermostat?

i would like the humidity and temp to be displayed on the ios app and control an on/off plug to switch on humidity fire on.

Thanks & Regards,

Jean

Yes, you can use the wireless thermostat independently. I use one to control only the bedroom fireplace. Caveat: do not link it to a wired thermostat or you lose independence.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

i don't have a wired one in fact. the problem is that i added it to the ios app but i am not getting and temp or humidity readings. Are there and settings that i need to do ? i read that it has to be master or something ?

Comment

Battery powered devices do not update their status unless something changes. To do otherwise would require using battery power 24/7.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

can you explain further as i didn't understand your last mesg.

Comment

A battery power devices will update its status whenever there is a change. Then it will remain idle-effectively not reporting anything until the next time it changes. Which Hub are you using-there are three different Hubs.

Comment

I have the normal insteon hub v2. So with the wireless thermostat i can't check the temp and humidity from mobile app? I am not getting any readings.

Comment

Do you mean that the fields with the temperature and humidity are blank or that you're not able to communicate with the thermostat (i.e., 3 spinners).

Comment

why does this need an extrnal power when it should suppose to be a wireless temp and humidity reader. don't know if i have explained myself well. I just want this device to monitor the temp and humidity. i also want to be able to check this from my mobile app. further more, if the humidity is high, i would like to trigger the humidity fire to start up (this will be plugged to an on/off insteon plug)

Comment

The wireless thermostat will go to sleep if it is only running off of a battery and not respond to status queries from the hub (if you use the external 5v power as mentioned above the device will remain in a state that the hub can query it.)

The temperature is the only thing that can currently control devices. (This may not be the case. I just found that you have to manually link the device since the app doesn't allow the links but humidity is a group that can be linked, but I haven't tried it.)

The Humidity will only be displayed on the app if the thermostat is set to a heat/cool mode. No idea why that is the case.

The external sensor (if you hook one up) will only be displayed on the screen of the thermostat and is not displayed on the Insteon hub apps. Seems like this temperature might be included in the information that is obtained from the thermostat but it is not available on the apps associated with the 2245-222 hub.
                    Last edited by Thaun; 11-09-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

The external temperature is not passed on by the module. The same thing is observed using an ISY994i controller.
                      A user on the ISY forums modified one to use the external sensor to take the temperature of a pond. By rewiring the external one to where the internal sensor was soldered to the PCB.

Comment

Hi All,

sorry for my late reply, but didn't have the time to try out the suggested methods. I tried connecting the wireless thermostat with a 5v dc power supply, but on the iphone app i still don't get the temperature and humidity.

May i remind you that i only have a wireless thermostat and not a wired one. Is this possible or not?

Comment

What does the display show?

Comment

On the thermostat it shows the temperature and humidity but on the iphone app these are not showed.

Comment

I've added a wireless thermostat to my iOS app and when I tap on the thermostat I can see the mode, temperature, humidity and setpoint.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]n81939[/ATTACH]
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X