Problems with Scenes Using Sunset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Scenes Using Sunset

Coming from X10, this was a lot easier to accomplish. I must be doing something wrong or be missing something really basic. I have tried several times to create Scenes using and ON time at Sunset and an OFF time at Midnight and have tried to link this to my 3 outdoor light switches. I have not been successful in making this Scene work. The switches are all set up with no schedule. I would like all of the lights outside to turn on and off at the same time. Instead I have had to resort to creating a schedule for each switch with an ON time near the Sunset time and an OFF time near Midnight for each switch making sure I do not have any of the switches using the same time. Do I need to create a Scene just for the ON at Sunset? Does anyone know why Insteon will not allow multiple devices to turn on or off at the same time? This was never an issue with X10. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Multiple devices set for the same or nearly the same on or off time creates collisions--because every device has a unique address. Scenes can overcome that problem. Create a single scene with all device you would like to turn on or off in that same one scene.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I have tried just about everything and any Scene using the Sunset as the ON time does not work. I can create scenes using specific times for multiple or single devices with no problems. I just cant get the Sunset ON scene to work. I have tried only ON scenes for one or multiple devices that did not work. I have also discovered a problem with a scene where I want lights to turn only from Monday thru Friday. The scene works Tuesday thru Friday, but does not work on Monday, and turns on Saturday which is a day that I have excluded in the scene. I cant be the only one experiencing this problem. HELP.

Comment

Only ONE scene should have the same or close to the same on time. What's the result if you schedule the problem scene to run Sunday through Thursday?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I have modified the schedule to run Sunday to Thursday. I will report back this weekend.

​I have again tried to create a new Scene to turn on a single lamp at Sunset. This time I used the App on my IPad instead on my Android to create the Scene in case there is something awry with the Android App. I do have other devices that a scheduled to turn on near the Sunset time (+/- 5 minutes). These schedules are working just fine. I had to resort to using the Schedule for these because I could not get the Sunset Scene to work.

​I am beginning to think I have a bad hub. Do you know if there is any way to get a report on what is programmed on the hub and the times?

Comment

I am writing to report that when I deleted my original Sunset Scene to turn on lights that I created using the Android App and created a new Sunset Scene on my IPad App, the new Scene works perfectly. There must be some bug in the Android App that is causing the problem.

​I have now created a new Scene to turn on certain lights at 5AM on Monday thru Friday on my IPad App to replace the one I created on my Android App to see if I can correct the problems I am having with the lights turning on on the wrong days. If this works I am certain that the Android App is the problem and will report these problems to Insteon.

​I am not sure if I should, or if I can, completely erase the bad Android App from my phone and try to reinstall it and get favorable results. I was always a bit weary when the Insteon App for Android has the word BETA written across it.

Comment

Well my Scene to turn on certain lights at 5AM on Monday thru Friday still does not work correctly. This morning (Saturday) at 5AM all of the lights came on even though the Scene on the App (both Android and IPad) clearly excludes Saturday and Sunday. I am working on the assumption that the Apps scheduling program is screwed up and the schedule week actually starts on Monday instead of Sunday and that the App programming is wrong. I have reprogrammed the Scene on the App to turn on the lights on Sunday thru Thursday. If the App programming is screwed up then this should work. Otherwise I have no idea why the Scene Schedule doesn't work.

Comment

After many permutations, I decided to delete all of my Scenes created using the Android App for the Weekday 5am to 7am On/Off program and have recreated them using the IOS App. I am happy to report that these new Scenes are working perfectly. There is definitely something wrong with the Android App installed on my Android phone. Right now everything, after weeks of trial and error, is working as I desire and have programmed. I am afraid to touch anything fearing that I will again have to spend hours of my time trying to get things to work right. Insteon support has been no help.

​The Insteon Hub2 is not a bad product and does work well when you work out all of the problems. I do like the ability to use the Apps to control and view the devices on line. The Android App I believe was rushed to the market and still needs a lot of debugging and programming. The IOS App seems to be less buggy. Despite which one you do use, you will experience problems and will need to spend a lot of time trying to get everything to work correctly. Insteon needs to work on this.

​As of now, I am finally happy with my transition from X10 to Insteon but the road has not been smooth. I have had to replace a lot of X10 devices because the Hub2 simply does not work with X10 devices even though this is Insteon's claim. My cost to transition has been greater than expected. I have a lot of devices such as motion detectors, cameras, switches, etc. that I now have to discard.

​I do wish that Insteon would provide some sort of feedback on the programming that was save to the Cloud as this would have saved me a lot of time and effort. Not being able to know exactly what schedules and scenes were actually programmed to the Cloud is STUPID and Insteon NEEDS TO FIX THIS NOW. Not everyone will have my patience to figure out how to fix Insteon;s problems. They will simply toss it out and go with another product.

Comment

I have this same issue. I have a single scene set to turn on at Sunset, and turn off at Sunrise. When it is set to that it does not do anything automatically. I can activate the scene manually and turn it off manually as well. If I change the same scene to turn on/off at specific times it works fine. I do not have an IOS device so I don't have a way of testing if it's Android specific as stated. I tried using the Feedback from within the app as TFitzpatri8 suggested but it just closes the app after hitting submit with no confirmation or error message. I have a developer API key and it appears to be setting the values for the times as 'Sunset' and 'Sunrise' according to the API.

Android version: 4.4.4
                  App Version: 1.7.2

Comment

Did anybody ever come up with an answer to this? I was beginning to think I was a lighthouse keeper. Where are sunrise sunset values stored? In my case, I cannot save the location or the house name either. Every time I log on I find I am going to myhouse and I live in California. Why is there so much snow outside if I am in California?

Comment

My scene comes on at sunset no problem.
                      iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
                      iPhone3 - "remote" IOS 6.1.6
                      iPod
                      Android tablet Version 4.0.4
                      Hub II: 1F.66.64
                      Firmware: 5679
                      Bin: Hub2-V04-20140904
                      PLM: 9D

2 ip cameras
                      2 smoke detectors w/ smoke bridge
                      1 Motion sensor
                      3 keypad
                      3 outlet
                      4 wall switches
                      1 garage door open close sensor

Comment

I have the same issue as stated by Daniel Ugorcak wrt to not being able to get Sunset to work. I have tried adding two on/off switches to a scene and then setting the on time to Sunset and the off-time to 11pm. All to no avail. I am using a Windows 8 Store App and a Windows 8 Phone App where both apps are able to easily set on/off times for individual devices and scenes except for the use of Sunset. The displayed Sunset time for my location is not quite correct, but close enough. I find StusViews comments about collisions to really beg the issue of poor programming. A good firmware programmer would automatically be able to handle collisions and have the user at a high level be only concerned about setting desired on/off times. For example, the firmware could have a list of devices ordered by their scheduled times and if there are two or more devices with the same time, then the firmware should automatically put in the required time deltas for handling the collisions - these deltas would never be noticeable by a user. I also find that when scheduling a scene with multiple devices and if any of the devices have the same on/off times as the scene an error message is generated. This is also an example of poor programming. The scene on/off times should simply be overriding the individual on/off times --- isn't this the reason for creating a scene? Fundamentally the Insteon tech support team has promised fixes about 4-5 months ago but as of today (3/19/2015) these issues have not be fixed!!!! I find Insteon support and software to be quite disappointing.

Comment

To the recommendation that one use the App Feedback, Well I have used it a number of times. It is like sending something to a sink hole or bottomless pit. I strongly recommend that if Insteon does not fix this trivial issue of being able to use Sunset across all operating systems and Apps that they get out of the Home Automation market!!! Personally, I am already looking into other solutions and I feel that they have been dishonest with consumers.

Comment

My problem has just gotten worse. There was a insteon update to my android phone. So I was hoping for better things. Since the upgrade, if I leave the hub connected to the network, the entire network randomly drops off the internet. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for the drops but suddenly nothing can reach the net until I disconnect the hub. After this happened three times, I have left the hub disconnected and everything runs as planned.

It is clear that I have some internet setup that Insteon has not seen before. My hub will be disconnected until another upgrade comes along.

Comment

Ok, I am just "throwing this out there"...

Hypothetically, if I set up a scene called "sunrise" and schedule it to turn ON at sunrise with one (1) member device let's say a lamp to turn ON, then create another scene called "sunset" and schedule it to OFF at sunset with the same one (1) device, the same lamp to turn OFF. At sunrise, the scene "sunrise" turns ON and the lamp turns ON. At sunset, the scene "sunset" turns OFF and the lamp turns OFF. The next morning at sunset, is the scene "sunset" still turned "ON" and so the ON signal is never sent to the lamp device?

​In other words, if a scene is only programmed to turn ON, can another scene cancel the previous scene (turn it OFF)? Or does one scene need to be turned ON and then OFF in order to not interfere with another scene?

I am confused...

Comment

Working...
                              X