Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the IR worth it?

Hi,

I am about to get a ISY994i controller, and I am trying to figure out if the IR option is useful or not. Since I do not have yet an Insteon set up, it is hard for me to understand why it would be an important device. Is it just that it detects the use of an infrared controller and can trigger an event?

Thank you for shedding some light for me on that matter.

The IR option can be added later if you so desire. You add the small IR detection board inside the ISY994i and purchase the firmware IR support.
    One point. The IR detector is behind a small hole in the front cover. The ISY994i has to be in sight of the IR sender to see the message.

Comment

Thanks for answering.

Good to know that if I choose the cheaper option,I can upgrade it later. As a matter of fact, should I wait until they make a small IR unit or device that could be placed on a shelf and wired to the controller box? That would be cooler than to have it directly on the front of the box and be obligated to have it in sight...

Comment

That's available now: [url]http://home-automation.smarthome.com/search?view=list&isort=score&w=insteon+irlinc[/url]
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X