Can't find hub on network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find hub on network

So right now, I am temporarily set up with a Verizon 4G MiFi card while I wait to have permanent internet installed at my home. In the meantime, I have a Netgear Range Extender WN2500RP with four LAN ports on the back for wired internet access. I can connect my computer to this without issue and receive Internet access. Yet, no matter what I do, I cannot get the hub to be seen on my network, and it doesn't even appear in my devices list for the network. The LAN light for that ethernet port on the range extender lights up amber (instead of the green it's supposed to). I have checked the Netgear documentation and they don't even list an amber light as a valid status so I'm not sure what that means...when my PC is connected to it, the LAN light is green.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I have tried two separate hubs (I received the Comfort Kit and and Assurance Kit for Christmas.... yay presents) and I plug the hub in to the wall LAST after connecting it to the range extender. Neither hub seems to be recognized.
    2. I have tried both sets of cables and power supplies.
    3. I have reset everything,
    4. I attemped to set up a Linksys router off the range extender and was successful in setting it up but still can't see the hub on the router.
    5. I brought the hub to my parents' house... they have Verizon a HomeFusion system, I plugged into the Verizon router and can't see it there either.
    6. I had a friend try it at his house with Comcast service/router and it worked fine, and he was able to turn his lamp on and off :)

Basically the hub just doesn't seem to appear on the network if I check the network list, and I never get past the screen after account creation... it doesn't go into hub configuration.

I'm at a loss....are there known issues with Verizon wireless, or range extenders? Anything else anyone can recommend to try? I live in the boonies so I can't get anything but wireless or satellite.

I know there's a lot of info here but I've spent a lot of time on this, and I spent an hour on hold waiting to talk with someone at tech support and finally hung up, I last week and never heard back. I love the system and don't want to return it but it's looking like it might be my only remaining option.

I could first see if the hub gets an ip address right away because it should. If it does, then ping that IP to make sure you get good solid pings with 1 to 2 msecs. The amber lights is the indication of the problem. Normally this means its running at 10meg and now 10/100 meg. Did you try the exact cable at your friends house? or did you use his? or maybe the wifi cards are limiting you to how many ips it can hand out and will not hand out enough to give your hub an ip which in return could through a amber light to.

Comment

The Hub runs at the slower speed which is more than adequate for home automation.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

My hubs work as intended even though I can't see them on my router lists. Insteon's concept of networking is different from most. Netgear may have an app that allows for managing a Netgear router which may display the network's topology on the Netgear extender.
        In the recent past it was possible to logon directly to the hub as it has a web server, however, it seems that capability has been eliminated.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. This at least might explain the amber light on my Range Extender as well as why I can't see the hub listed on my network. And it is indeed possible I am out of IPs since my WiFi card supports very few. I did try it at my parents' house, however, and it didn't work there either. They do support additional IPs.

My friend tried it with his own Ethernet cable, and I tried that as well.

Insteon support has gotten back to me and says that the older hub may have issues on cellular networks and that I should get the Hub 2. Easier said than done since there's no way to know what comes in the kit.

In the meantime I will see if I'm just running out of IPs as suggested. Thanks again for the responses!

Comment

Working...
          X