Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Insteon normally this screwed up?

1. Insteon LED sends you to a bad link
    2. No manuals for devices, just cutesy icons, "saving carbon". I don't do hieroglyphics well.
    3. On IOS, Hub setup losses connection repeatedly at when attempting to download update. The update download continues on my IOS device, but then fails the verification step.
    4. Of course, support takes the weekend off. When do they think people with jobs will be trying to do a setup?

You'd think this was designed by Microsoft.
    Before I just return this mess, is Insteon normally screwed up or is it Christmas or something?

Thanks
    Bill

1. Yes

2. Kind of. After calling support they are having fatal server problems right now, not that they care to update their forum though.

Comment

Most Insteon device let you know when a link is missing by flashing the set LED red. If the link is OK, then the LED blinks green. That's great for troubleshooting.

Virtually all Insteon devices have full Owner's Manuals on-line. Nearly all environmentally conscientious manufacturer's have been doing that for years (unless a CD-ROM is included, then the Owner's Manual is on the CD).
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

@drpuffypants: thanks. I'll try again tomorrow. Seeing the all the broken links suggests that they need to hire programmers or something. When we switch over to a new version at work, we do this thing called testing, and running parallel systems.

@stusviews. They have some, but not all. Perhaps you could point me to a manual for the motion sensor? They have a "quick start" guide but no manual (e.g. what are all those jumpers and dials for? How about the fat white button?) And how about that "cross-linking" process that is casually mentioned in the LED manual? Any examples?

Comment

The Motion Sensor QSG includes descriptions for all five jumpers, both the left and right button and the "fat white" Set button, too.

The Motion Sensor is a controller only. Cross-linking is used only for devices that are both controllers and responders, for example, you may have a virtual multi-way configuration where you want each controller to indicate the state of the load. To accomplish that, you set each device in the scene to be both a controller and a responder. If one or more devices in the scene is a dimmer, then you set both the On-level and ramp rate to be identical for all devices.

BTW, there is no @ in my user name. Maybe you confused this forum with another.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

They seem to be in the process of redoing the Insteon.com web site. Including the way you access manuals. I also find the new pages somewhat confusing and counter productive.
            They also seem to have broken some of the links we SDK members used. Maybe we are also on the way out. OH well was fun while it lasted.

Comment

stusviews: Thanks for your comments. Perhaps you are looking at a different item than I am. The INSTEON Motion Sensor Quick Start Guide that I have in front of me (REV 03.27.14) only says that "To configure settings ... ensure jumper 5 is installed over both pins." It does not explain the dials or the Set Button, but does say that there is a manual, video tutorials, "and more" at insteon.com/support. It does have a cutesey image that shows all the jumpers set on and, on the next page, another showing all that unset except jumper 5.This is what they are shipping now. If there are manuals, video tutorials "and more" on the support site, they are not apparent to me.

Your explanation of cross-linking is helpful. I am trying to use the motion sensor to trigger a bedroom light that will also be controlled by 4-scene remote. I would like a normal motion-sensor on-off unless it is overridden by the scene controller. (e.g. walking into room triggers the light. If I press the remote the light stays on until I release the remote. Otherwise the light is turned off after some period of time.)

The practice of putting @ in front of a name is a common one on forum and blog comments when you are responding to multiple persons in a single post. This allows the readers to separate the conversation threads. If you are unfamiliar with that custom, I apologize for any confusion that may have caused.

Comment

Bill, you are correct, there are two QSGs. The one you're looking at is specifically for the Hub. Both QSGs are available on-line.

Holding the button on a Mimi Remote will not stop the Motion Sensor from sending a Off signal. The only way to override the Motion Sensor is with a second Insteon device in parallel with the controlled device (e..g, bedroom light) or using software and/or hardware capable of conditionals, (e.g., if this, then do that).

And @ may be common on some forums, but it's not universal. It's usually a habit carried over from a forum where it is required ;)

Comment

Bill,

God help you if and when you have to decipher the colored flow chart for the other products! I don't know who writes their technical manuals but they need to get a person to do so.
                  Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X