basic alarm functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basic alarm functionality

New to Insteon, and while I'm interested in home automation my first need is for a basic home alarm system. I'm at square 1 with Insteon and just trying to decide if I can get my basic requirements met before investing and diving in. I want to install door/window sensors and if they're triggered, turn on a couple of AC outlets controlling serious lights and a siren. Emails, etc can come later. And I need a way for people to arm the system when leaving, without having to boot up my computer and run an app; i.e. I want a dedicated keypad or switch for that purpose. Someone checking my house while I'm traveling would not have my phone and shouldn't need to use an app to come and go.

​Can I do this with Insteon or should I keep looking? Thanks for anyone's patience in answering newbie questions.

Insteon is not meat to be a home alarm/security system and should not be used as one. For one thing, there's no backup if power fails. However, Insteon devices can be used to supplement a security system. Elk systems are Insteon compatible.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I get that, but I can accept the small risk of a burglar coinciding with a power failure. I just need to deter the average smash-and-grab guy, like the one who hit me last week. I want to be able to turn lights on/off on a schedule while we're away, but have them all come on if a door/window alarm is activated. Seems like the Insteon hub should be able to do all this.

I can look at Elk, but I like the Insteon hub's tie-in to Microsoft Phone and Win 8.1, and the ability to check things over the internet.

I can handle setup and programming but I need a system that other people can still use if I'm not around. The one thing I don't see so far in Insteon's lineup is a simple home/away keypad or switch.
      Last edited by jimh123454; 12-09-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Burglar's often cause power failures. Insteon devices are also easily disabled. Using solely Insteon device to provide intrusion protection is false security. A telephone line or cable is easily cut.

An Insteon manager such as an ISY is needed to create home/away scenes. Or a security system.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Very surprised that with all the automation scenarios that Insteon supports, there is no way to make any action conditional on 'home' vs. 'away'. Seems like an absolutely basic concept for 'home automation'.

Comment

I agree. And there exists software and hardware that allows exactly that.

Comment

A question on this: I am trying to get information on ISY-994 in Europe, but I don't find any.
              Is there any compatibility issue between ISY product and the Voltage/functioning in EU market?

Comment

The ISY994i uses a Smarthome 2413S PLM as an interface to the power lines and do Insteon RF communications.
                The PLM is strictly a 120 Volt 60 cycle device and uses the Insteon RF frequency of 915MHz.
                The EU specifications are different. Both the AC power and RF frequency are different. So for now. It is a limitation.
                Things maybe changing in Q1 or Q2 of 2015. UDI the manufacturer of the ISY994i. Is working on their own model PLM that is planed to be made to also fit other markets of the world.
                Last edited by BLH; 12-11-2014, 04:19 AM. Reason: Add information

Comment

agree with jimh123454 that home and away is a fundamental function of any home automation/monitoring system. I should not need to after spending 2-300 bucks on the assurance starter kit and various motion and water leak sensors, I still have to cough out 3-400 bucks for the ISY and PLM system to get the home and away function. it should be relatively easy fix to add that to the app...

Comment

Working...
                  X