Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New home and insteon

Hi!

We are building a new home that will have somewhere between 100 and 150 switches / dimmers.

Looking at zwave,zigbee, and Insteon we were leaning most towards insteon. Seems to work well with Home Assistant and has the scene buttons that our Inlaws (whose house this is) will be able to easily use.

The problem is that we are testing it in our current house in three rooms:
    1 dimmer
    1 on/off
    1 6 button switch
    1 hub2
    All are GE LED bulbs we just purchased (we were using hue before this, but wanted to replicate what Inlaws would have). (These bulbs [url]https://www.target.com/p/general-electric-4pk-ca-relax-led-light-bulb-sw-br30-dimming-long-life/-/A-53386408[/url])

Got the system setup super easily, much faster then the Innovelli switches we tried.

The problem is we have noticed occasional flickers maybe once or twice an hour for like a millisecond on the on/off and the dimmer.

What could be causing this?

(Also will the 100-150 be too many, and anything we should have electrician do to make it work better?)

Can you see a pattern of when you get a flicker. Like at the time an Insteon command was being sent onto the power lines?
    I have seen some reports of some dimmer bulb combinations. Can cause some flicker when their is traffic on the power lines.

Comment

No, it seems pretty intermittent. We were not using the switches or anything at the time.

Comment

Yes I have this issue with dimmers too. The issue was noticeable after replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED after construction was complete. If you set one of the switches to flash its LED indicator when there are Insteon commands you will find that the flicker occurs when Insteon commands transmitted. When I called Insteon support they suggested the issue was possibly do ground wiring and or a bad switch. I conducted all their recommended debugging actions and could never eliminate the issue. The thing is, in my case I have probably 70 switches on probably 20 different breakers on different power power phases and the flickers appear all over the place. I have tried multiple LED bulb brands and some of lights are high-end fixtures with separate high quality power supplies. I think Insteon knows all about this issue with LED devices.

Comment

[I]Insteon[/I] is the most reliable and simplest way to turn your [I]home[/I] into a smart [I]home[/I]. Control, monitor, and automate lights from anywhere.

[URL]https://www.mybalancenow.today/[/URL]
          Last edited by Bermudez85; 09-27-2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X